Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cayenne powder floating in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
inmytree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cayenne powder floating in secondary

I put 1/2 tbsp cayenne powder in a secondary carboy yesterday and racked 5 gallons of stout onto it. Today I see that there is some of the cayenne powder floating on top of the stout in the secondary. Has anyone used cayenne in secondary before to know if the powder will eventually dissolve into the beer after a number of days? My concern is if there is still cayenne powder floating on top at the time of bottling then some of the concentrated powder may end up in the bottles, which I assume would not taste good and would be too spicy. Otherwise, perhaps I would just need to skim off the powder floating on top before bottling. Does anyone have experience using cayenne powder and know the answer to this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2304 Times on 2005 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Do you mean red pepper? Or flaked cayenne? Either one won't really dissolve ime. They're the dried skin of the cayenne pepper pod.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
inmytree
Recipes 

It is red pepper cayenne powder. If it doesn't dissolve, then won't it end up in the bottle, and end up floating in your glass after you pour it from the bottle?

Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Probably. Next time, you can try using chunk pepper in a grain bag and sink that in your primary with a sanitized stone in it. I wouldn't worry too much though. If you still have the floaties by bottling day, you can always try lining your bottling bucket with a sanitized BIAB filter bag. A cheap option are paint strainer bags they sell in hardware stores. Just boil it for a few minutes to sanitize it, use it to line the interior of your bottling bucket and use some metal binder clips around the upper edge of the bucket to hold the bag open and in place. As the beer drains out into your bottles, the bag will strain out the pepper and any remaining trub.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Quick Reply