A cautionary tale....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
Taste styles before you brew...

I'm stingy, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of paying top dollar for single bottles of classic imports. But I'd never had a kolsch before, and thought it would be a good (and inexpensive) summer brew for a homebrewer who currently lacks the faciliities to make lagers.

So I ponied up about $3 for a pint bottle of Reissdorf kolsch.

This is a pleasant enough beer but just absolutely not my style. Not a "beer lover's beer," in my opinion. The only time I'd consider brewing it would be for a summer party--it might be just the ticket for the standard lager drinkers in the crowd. Live and learn.

cweston said:
Taste styles before you brew...

I'm stingy, and I'm not thrilled with the idea of paying top dollar for single bottles of classic imports. But I'd never had a kolsch before, and thought it would be a good (and inexpensive) summer brew for a homebrewer who currently lacks the faciliities to make lagers.

So I ponied up about $3 for a pint bottle of Reissdorf kolsch.

This is a pleasant enough beer but just absolutely not my style. Not a "beer lover's beer," in my opinion. The only time I'd consider brewing it would be for a summer party--it might be just the ticket for the standard lager drinkers in the crowd. Live and learn.

I agree. Kolsch is definetly one style of beer that I do not enjoy to drink:cross:

cgravier said:
the only good thing about kolsch are the bottles they come in...the beer is drinkable, but not much better than a budweiper...

kolsch is not grolsch... and grolsch is not a kolsch...

I spent a year in Germany back in '98. The little town I stayed in held a beer festival in the summer so I was looking forward to trying some of the beers that Germany is so famous for. On the first morning of the festival I went, with mild excitement, into the town square where about a dozen or so tents had been erected overnight.

What an anti-climax!

Every tent had just one beer, and all the same; Dom Kolsch. There was no choice at all. Then, to cap it all, they sell the stuff in 0.2 litre glasses. That's barely a mouthful!!!

Having said that, I quite like Kolsch. Just not at a "beer festival" where they don't sell anything else :mad:

I would concur that Kolsch is a fine beer for a summer party and will probably brew some fairly soon for just that purpose.

ATB,
/Phil.

I have never tasted one before but I have one in secondary now. Why you might ask did I brew something that I might not like? The answer is that I liked the combination of ingredients that went into it and I usually can tell if I will like a brew by the amounts and type of ingredients that go into it. After all it is still beer and so far I haven't met one that disagreed with me.

Latest posts

Back