Cause for concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robaincltnc

Reaction score
Hello fellow hop heads I have a queary for you.

I brewed a simple sweet stout this weekend.

6/27 brewed
6/28 pitched yeast (around 80deg)

It bubbled along for a couple days then settled.

I checked gravity today and it was 1.024. The OG was 1.054. The beer is supposed to be around 4.5% but I am only at 4%. There is no sign of active fermentation going on now. Is it possible that the gravity will come on down or did my yeast stall? Anything I can do?

Thanks for the help!

I think you will be fine, its only been a few days. Fermentation can still be taking place even though you can't see any activity. I'd say let it sit another two weeks in primary. If your still concerned you could always bump the temperature a bit toward the end of fermentation to make sure your yeast stay active.

don't even look at that gravity for at least two weeks, the yeast has got it covered i promise

In homebrewing, time is your best tool. Wait a little bit before you start to fix something that isn't broken. ;) As the galaxies best-selling book boldly states on it's cover: "Don't Panic"

And, as the old homebrew saying goes: RDWHAHB! :mug:

Also, don't listen to your airlock. It's lying to you and probably plans to steal your good silverware and kick your dog while you sleep. :D

10/4 I'll just sit back and enjoy my other kegged nectar of the gods. Thanks! On another good note...just found out primary will fit in my wine cooler! Screw the wine! Woo hoo. Now I can make sure my ferment temps are correct. :)

Wow, impressive. I haven't seen a wine fridge that fits carboys or buckets (though I haven't looked hard.) And here I am converting a chest freezer to a fermentation chamber like a chump :D

Did you add lactose? Ive heard that yeast dont do a great job fermenting milk sugars. In all my sweet stouts i add lactoseand the FG iwinds up in the low 20s and they turn out with the perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness. You'd think that a bit higher finishing would be a good thing on a sweet stout, right?

Did you add lactose? Ive heard that yeast dont do a great job fermenting milk sugars. In all my sweet stouts i add lactoseand the FG iwinds up in the low 20s and they turn out with the perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness. You'd think that a bit higher finishing would be a good thing on a sweet stout, right?

Yes, I did add lactose...maybe that is it. I shook up the bucket and placed in wine cooler at 69deg and I'm seeing some bubbling activity. I look forward to trying it one day. Now if I could just get my maibock to age and not taste like white lightening!

It will probably drop a few points by letting it sit for a few more weeks but i wouldnt worry about it too much. When you think its done and the gravity has not dropped over a few readings, bottle that bad boy and enjoy! My last sweet stout winded up being at I think about 4% too and it is a crowd favorite for my stout/porter friends.

White Lightning!? I havent had that in any of my lagers. HOw long has it been aging and what primary temps did you use?

Latest posts

Back