Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > category entry question for Brett raspberry beer
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Mattyp11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Johnstown, Colorado
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 3

Default category entry question for Brett raspberry beer

i brewed a beer using all Brett c, and racked it onto 1 lb/gal raspberries. it essentially is a farmhouse type grain bill, and minimal noble hops. i have entered it into a local comp under 16e Belgian specialty with underlying base beer as saison. the raspberry and Brett characters are prominent, so it doesn't have much saison-ish stuff going on anymore, but i think that category allows for the specialty ingredients to kind of overtake the base beer qualities anyway. what do you guys think?

__________________
Mattyp11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,548
Liked 2205 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

Default

I don't think there is any reason to enter beers like this in BJCP comps. It's a crapshoot with the format.

__________________

Why spend 5 minutes reading when you can just start another thread?

TNGabe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Mattyp11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Johnstown, Colorado
Posts: 13
Likes Given: 3

Default

I'm really just trying to get some feedback on the beers, with the possibility of placing. but that feedback will be skewed if it's miscategorized.

__________________
Mattyp11 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
stubbornman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 552
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Just tell them it's a new style "farmhouse fruit beer" and then give the description you typed above. Absolutely worth entering, good luck.

__________________
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
stubbornman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,106
Liked 1033 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 2108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
Just tell them it's a new style "farmhouse fruit beer" and then give the description you typed above. Absolutely worth entering, good luck.
You can't enter beers in BJCP competitions like that - you must enter it into an existing category. OP, I think Belgian Specialty is likely the best category for this beer.
__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
stubbornman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 552
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_

You can't enter beers in BJCP competitions like that - you must enter it into an existing category. OP, I think Belgian Specialty is likely the best category for this beer.
LOL, Belgian Specialty is what I was talking about. You have the option to create a new style that doesn't exist. So yes, you can enter BJCP competitions like that...

From BJCP for 16 E:

Comments: This is a catch-all category for any Belgian-style beer not fitting any other Belgian style category. The category can be used for clones of specific beers (e.g., Orval, La Chouffe); to produce a beer fitting a broader style that doesn't have its own category; or to create an artisanal or experimental beer of the brewer's own choosing (e.g., strong Belgian golden ale with spices, something unique). Creativity is the only limit in brewing but the entrants must identify what is special about their entry.
__________________
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
stubbornman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 12,106
Liked 1033 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 2108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
LOL, Belgian Specialty is what I was talking about. You have the option to create a new style that doesn't exist. So yes, you can enter BJCP competitions like that...
Glad we agree that Belgian Specialty is the correct style category, but that's not what you wrote in your first response the OP and that's why I responded. If that's what you meant, I didn't understand that.

For what its worth, the way you are using 'style' is not the way the BJCP uses the word, in my experience. In BJCP parlance, the style is Belgian Specialty and the brewer needs to identify the base beer and the specialty ingredients.
__________________
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"


"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy
Pappers_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
stubbornman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 552
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Glad we agree that Belgian Specialty is the correct style category, but that's not what you wrote in your first response the OP and that's why I responded. If that's what you meant, I didn't understand that.

For what its worth, the way you are using 'style' is not the way the BJCP uses the word, in my experience. In BJCP parlance, the style is Belgian Specialty and the brewer needs to identify the base beer and the specialty ingredients.
Ok I responded to this yesterday and now my post is gone? Interesting...

Here it is again.

In the BJCP "parlance" for 16 E:

The judges must understand the brewer’s intent in order to properly judge an entry in this category. THE BREWER MUST SPECIFY EITHER THE BEER BEING CLONED, THE NEW STYLE BEING PRODUCED OR THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS OR PROCESSES USED. Additional background information on the style and/or beer may be provided to judges to assist in the judging, including style parameters or detailed descriptions of the beer. Beers fitting other Belgian categories should not be entered in this category.

So yes I am using the word 'style' correctly. Please ease up on the condescension in the future.
__________________
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
stubbornman is offline
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 19,929
Liked 3731 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornman View Post
Ok I responded to this yesterday and now my post is gone? Interesting...

Here it is again.

In the BJCP "parlance" for 16 E:

The judges must understand the brewer’s intent in order to properly judge an entry in this category. THE BREWER MUST SPECIFY EITHER THE BEER BEING CLONED, THE NEW STYLE BEING PRODUCED OR THE SPECIAL INGREDIENTS OR PROCESSES USED. Additional background information on the style and/or beer may be provided to judges to assist in the judging, including style parameters or detailed descriptions of the beer. Beers fitting other Belgian categories should not be entered in this category.

So yes I am using the word 'style' correctly. Please ease up on the condescension in the future.
The style name for 16E is Belgian Specialty Ale. That is how it has to be entered. Further information can be added as shown in your excerpt. "Farmhouse Fruit Beer would be part of that further info.
__________________
Am I Insane or do I really see Heaven in Your Eyes?
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
stubbornman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 552
Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
The style name for 16E is Belgian Specialty Ale. That is how it has to be entered. Further information can be added as shown in your excerpt. "Farmhouse Fruit Beer would be part of that further info.
You mean further information like the new style being produced??

I get that you guys are "buddies" or whatever, but telling me to ease up in a PM is uncalled for.

Between the comments here, post deletions, the BMW thread, and PM's this board will not be getting another cent from me.

Ridiculous.
__________________
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."
stubbornman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raspberry Beer Question mcgeeman Recipes/Ingredients 0 04-25-2013 10:59 PM
Unsure of correct category for competition entry BeastMaster General Beer Discussion 4 04-17-2013 03:41 PM
Beer Category Question LiquidFlame Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 01-21-2013 11:27 PM
Category 23 entry question EllisTX General Beer Discussion 2 01-30-2012 04:36 PM
Brett L. fermentation question for 100% Brett L. beer asterix404 Fermentation & Yeast 7 03-17-2011 06:30 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS