Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 AM   #31
mbauer013
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
LOL..."blows my mind" is a bit strong. Lightly carbonated, warmish beer? It's just not for everyone. Kinda like candy corn or clowns.

Does it "blow your mind" that not everyone likes clowns? I saw a clown couple making out in the poultry section of a grocery store when I was 18 and have been scarred ever since.

Taste is always subjective!!
Not really since clowns are a pretty specific thing, how many different kinds of clowns can you think of - Sad ones, Happy ones, ones that cut you off in traffic, but that's pretty much it. Cask ale, well that covers any beer served in a cask. Warmish, BS, it is cellar temp, just because it is not ice cold doesn't mean it is warm. Tastes great on an autumn day when it's 60 out. Sure when its 90 cold cold beer may be more refreshing. I stand by blows my mind. I had hundreds of very different beer out of casks while I was in the UK, I doubt I couldn't find one that would satisfy a person who claimed to not like them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #32
mbauer013
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimswms View Post
Might seem obvious, but the best thing to do is get the gear and just do it. My first cask was flat because I over conditioned, but I learned from it! Northern Brewer has cask stuff now, but I get my stuff from Paul at Ukbrewing.com

I'm in the middle of building a house. I'll have a dedicated cask cellar in it. Currently, we're in a rental and I can't brew now. Once we move, I'll happily start a step by step thread on how to do it.

Do you have any specific questions?
So you mean beer engine, breather, pin? dang that'd be an investment. No real specific questions, but if you have used a breather, do you find it doesn't have the same charachter as a cask open to atmosphere?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #33
jimswms
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer013 View Post
So you mean beer engine, breather, pin? dang that'd be an investment. No real specific questions, but if you have used a breather, do you find it doesn't have the same charachter as a cask open to atmosphere?
Yep. That's what you need! You don't need a pump though. Those are a tool to pull the beer out, not required beyond the fun factor and impressing your friends.
Do you have a corny set up? If so, you need this + this and you're good to go. I don't see breathers on the NB site, which is a shame really. Finally, someone brings in the gear at the homebrew level, but they don't offer the tools that will truly get it off the ground? I don't have a problem with breathers, but if I had a pub I might not use one. If you're going to do this at home, you need to make concessions!

That NB link will give you what you need, but I post that more for ease. I'd break it down and get it from Ukbrewing.com just because Paul is a cool guy, and I've been a customer for awhile. He's the US source for all things cask.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
I saw a clown couple making out in the poultry section of a grocery store
eeeeewww.. did they at least wash their hands before handling the poultry???

Old 08-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #35
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A Irish themed pub near me has cask ale. When I take my wife out for dinner half the time I go there the other half is divided between all of the other restaurants, just because the cask is so wonderful.

I noticed that the carbonation seems to be finer bubbles, the small head is like shaving soap foam due to the tiny bubbles. Is this normal?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #36
jerryteague
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 151 Posts

Back in the early 90's, I was stationed in germany, and got to do a good deal of traveling. I got to try cask ale in Berlin at a tiny pub near downtown, and I loved it. I've tried other cask ales since then, but none have measured up to my first pint. I'll drink it when it's available, but I doubt I'll ever brew a cask ale. To me, it's not worth the expense. Just my .02.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #37
mbauer013
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post
A Irish themed pub near me has cask ale. When I take my wife out for dinner half the time I go there the other half is divided between all of the other restaurants, just because the cask is so wonderful.

I noticed that the carbonation seems to be finer bubbles, the small head is like shaving soap foam due to the tiny bubbles. Is this normal?
Yep normal!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #38
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfonnes View Post

Where's this place you're talking about?

Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #39
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cask condition and gravity pour some of my home brewed beer.

An LPG regulator serves as a cask breather.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #40
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucke
I cask condition and gravity pour some of my home brewed beer.

An LPG regulator serves as a cask breather.
Tell us more as I'm intrigued. LP regulator hooked to CO2? What pressure? Where did you get that container?
Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Quick Reply