Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cask Ales

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 398 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm just telling you, if you served cask beers at a wedding reception or family reunion, 99% of the people WOULD NOT LIKE IT. Not at all. BAD IDEA!!!

Out of my home brew club of about 40 (we hosted the event, though I didn't participate), only a handful (6 or 7 tops) enjoyed the cask beer festival beers, and we're talking 40 CRAFT BEER BREWERS, let alone a wedding full of BMCers.

Beer just isn't the same without carbonation. You have to trust me on this. Most of you WILL NOT like it! It's fine for a post-fermentation sample, it just doesn't work for many people at all in several 16oz doses.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 135

If I could find a descent pump for a beer engine I would like to try one myself for a summertime BBQ poolside. I can make the faucet and sparkler tip but I don't want to drop $400 on a complete unit.

When searching for beer engines this popped up.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Very few microbreweries actually serve true cask beers. It is a rarity to have a beer poured from a wooden cask. It's not impossible but it is rarely done...those cask shaped kegs are not real casks and shouldn't be labeled as such...Cask style would be more appropriate.

We were lucky enough to get a real cask from germany at our local beer speciality shop. It was poured out the same day...what fun it was.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
Very few microbreweries actually serve true cask beers. It is a rarity to have a beer poured from a wooden cask. It's not impossible but it is rarely done...those cask shaped kegs are not real casks and shouldn't be labeled as such...Cask style would be more appropriate.

We were lucky enough to get a real cask from germany at our local beer speciality shop. It was poured out the same day...what fun it was.
Huh, I had read that wood casks were not required in order for it to be considered "real ale." Thought it was more about the process of carbonating and serving it.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
OldWorld
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

No Gameface...you don't need a real wood cask to be real ale...But the traditional method of dispensing beer makes the experience that much more authentic.

Cask ale shouldn't be flat...Carbonation will be much lighter but it should still be carbonated up. It works well for lower gravity beers. I love a good old fashioned bitter.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWorld View Post
sounds absolutely amazing, but that's german altbier casks! english ones are metal and usually beer engine fed and have been for many many years!

just to throw in another opinion, i love a good cask ale, and hate a bad / old / stale cask ale, really can't stand them, and agree with the person who said that most people (should maybe say most non-british non-males not between the ages of 30 and 130) at the wedding won't go for it. i think most ale lovers will appreciate an appropriate ale (say a nice english style esb) served cask-style eventually, even if they find the first few a bit weird, but then some perfectly reasonable people will always hate them, will find them flat and warm. so it goes, i can see both sides of that one. but the uninitiated rarely love their first cask pint.
but as for what's a 'real ale' according to CAMRA, well personally i think CAMRA can go stuff themselves, telling pubs that they can't use a CO2 rebreather, and if they do they can't advertise they sell real ale. so unless they sell enough to turn over a firkin in a few days all they will sell is crappy lager, or some just keep serving nasty stale ale a week after it's gone bad. screw CAMRA, for all the good they have done bringing back the style that is an idiotic restriction. as for what it means for homebrewers and pubs outside britain- nothing! do whatever you want! rebreathe with co2 and call it a cask ale. a bunch of dumpy dudes in black tshirts and wool sweaters telling you your ale isn't a real ale, really??
ahhhh, rant finished! now, i haven't done this yet but many people on here have, you can use a corny as a gravity feed cask by laying it on its side with a slight downward slope, serving from the CO2 in, and breathing air or low pressure CO2 in the beer out via dip tube!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

My experiences with cask ales have all been negative. I can't force myself to go to a fest to try a range of them.

And I love the Milds and Bitters traditionally served from a cask.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #18
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 75

It’s my understanding that sparklers are favored in north England and deprecated in the south. Found this on Google:

Quote:
Apparently, once upon a time ale was not vented. The ale would condition in the cask, they’d hammer in a tap and start serving. The ale would be quite lively thanks to the lack of venting off excess c02, so when it poured it would throw a big head of foam. Somewhere along the way, they started venting, but now that head is gone. What to do? Some enterprising publican came up with a way to bring it back, and here we are today with sparkled beer in the North for a reason. Tradition. Appearance. Local taste. And default, through ignorance in the US.
-http://caskaleathome.blogspot.com/p/word-on-sparklers.html
I had a Red Seal out of a cask at Flying Saucer in Fort Worth. The whole deal, wooden cask, hand pump and sparkler. The bartender warned me it was gonna take a while so I ordered a beer to have while waiting. Five pulls and forty five minutes later I had a fresh delicious warm flat amber.

I totally agree about the breather. It’s not even a compromise, it’s an upgrade. Tradition for tradition’s sake is stupid if it means stale, flat beer.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I like the idea of using the mini keg and doing 5 liters, be a nice addition to a party. I still think many home brewers would drink one or two just to try it. Face it home brewers are not just beer lovers but beer pioneers.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 08-01-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
Ghostly
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've had a lot of cask ales recently (extended trip to England plus many at bars nearby in NYC) and I'm willing to say that I think bottle conditioning is a superior way to serve naturally carbonated beers. I wanted them to have some sort of magic, but there was so much boring coming from most of those casks (English pubs, on the other hand, were delightful as a whole, and I could love cask beers at the right one.) That said, Brewing TV did a couple nice features on cask brewing.

Quick Reply