New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA: Should it be a new style in BJCP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
skibb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA: Should it be a new style in BJCP?

After looking over multiple threads on these forums I have seen quite a few dedicated to this 'style'. And, in many of those threads people mention that it should be a style included in the BJCP with its own guidelines and descriptions. So, I ask you, do you think that it deserves its own category?

For me, I'm not really convinced I've seen any reason to. From the commercial examples I have tasted like Stone's Sublimely Self-righteous, and Victory's Yakima Twilight - I really haven't tasted anything that differentiates these beers from American IPAs/IIPAs - there may be a slight roast character to them but nothing that is anything more than barely detectable. The only thing that really is different is the color - and to me, that alone isn't a reason for its own category in BJCP. Also, looking at the several recipe threads in this forum, none of them really incorporate the rich malty/roasted/coffee flavors we all associate with dark/opaque beers. I'm not asking for a hoppy stout or imperial stout, but just enough of something different to set it apart.
Perhaps though, being on the east side of the country, I haven't really experienced the best examples for the style, and I'm definitely open for suggestions on what good beers would better represent this style.

Last edited by skibb; 02-04-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
bmbigda
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes - Absolutely. It's a unique combination of hop bitterness and malt character that is unlike other styles.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

There is some inertia against adding new styles to the BJCP. The criteria for adding it would be first that a lot of home brewers are entering it into category 23 and second that some enterprising subject matter expert drafts the guideline, and ideally home brewers would submit this draft as instructions to the judges along with the beer they entered into category 23.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

The preliminary style guide has been drafted. It will probably be in the next revision. Both the BJCP and BA style guides are driven by commercially available beers and there are several dozen CDAs out there.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

BJCP Style or not, this is getting brewed this weekend. MLT is constructed, yeast starter is crash cooled. All I gotta do is clean up my messy-a$$ kitchen before brewday!

Anyone know of any commercial varieties of this style I can try that I can get here in Chicago?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I really think the BJCP guide holds too much weight and is too limiting. I don't see why people care.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 832 Times on 618 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

I agree with the above. Even though I am definitely focused on getting some ribbons in the future, most of my beers would not fit into any of the categories other than 23.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 209 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ditto both above.

Styles are a great place to start. I'm not convinced they are a great place to end. The fact that a new pigeon hole has to be created for a new beer that doesn't fit any of the other pigeon holes convinces me to look in the opposite direction.

On deck: Barleywine, Dampfbier, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Rye-weizen, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
JByer323
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibb View Post
Perhaps though, being on the east side of the country, I haven't really experienced the best examples for the style, and I'm definitely open for suggestions on what good beers would better represent this style.
This is a style I have little experience with, but I have been drinking the heck out of Upland Brewing's (Bloomington, IN) Komodo Dragonfly Black IPA. 65.5 IBUs and heavy on coffee and burnt malts, I don't know what style it should fall under, but man oh man is it good.

Once in a while you get shown the light,
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #10
sonetlumiere85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoyLenz View Post
BJCP Style or not, this is getting brewed this weekend. MLT is constructed, yeast starter is crash cooled. All I gotta do is clean up my messy-a$$ kitchen before brewday!

Anyone know of any commercial varieties of this style I can try that I can get here in Chicago?
I can get Victory's Yakima Twilight in Milwaukee, so you should be able to get it in Chicago. It's dangerously delicious.

Quick Reply