Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Care to reverse engineer a brew? Need a recipe for this weekend.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
BrewOnBoard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Care to reverse engineer a brew? Need a recipe for this weekend.

Greetings fellow brewers! I haven't been brewing much over the last year, but I'm back into it again and the kettle is calling!

I'm looking to brew up something for the winter, and I know I'm behind the 8 ball time-wise but still, I'd like to give it a go. Might be a long winter anyway....

What I'd like to brew is something like Windmere's Brrr. I normally skip all Windmere products as I browse the shelves but I tried it 2 years ago and really REALLY liked it. I find that it is closest to a winter warmer in style and what I like about it is the balance of strength and sweetness vs hops and bittering.

Compared to some other winter styles this one does have some caramel sweetness, which comes out nicely when it warms up (though it's good cold too) but unlike a scotch ale it is not overpowered by sweetness and alcohol. Burr is more carbonated, has much more hop flavor, smell and bittering, and is more drinkable in my opinion. Its complexity reminds me distantly of the Jolly Roger by maritime but is is MUCH more tame and drinkable.

In short, I'm looking for an extract with steeping grains recipe that's somewhere along this line. Bold, complex, medium-high on the alcohol but balanced with some agressive hops. Anyone care to point me towards a recipe that is close?

Here is what beeradvocate says about it:http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/45454

BrewOnBoard

PS I've got my brewing on the boat system pretty much figured out and am fine tuning the details. I should really post a how to some time. My setup is nice (I think) not just because I can do it on the boat, but it is also a fairly lean/simple system that concentrates on having a minimum amount of equipment without being totally austere.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

here's a start: clicky

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.
BrewOnBoard Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
TheBeerist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just for future reference, have you ever contacted your favorite brewer about their recipes? I've done it a few times, and usually they're more than willing to share recipes or at least with you.. unless you're e-mailing New Glaurus of course. I've never encountered anyone less willing to talk to home brewers about recipes--particularly home brewers who don't live in an area where they distribute to.

/end rant.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4J View Post
here's a start: clicky
Clicky = thanky! I almost forgot how cool this website really is. Ask a question, and get a better than expected answer (a recipe from the brewery no less!) in less than 30 min. Awesome!

TheBeerist, Was that a rant? Nawww.... Sounded like a regular question to me. To answer your question, I did try grilling Stone about Arrogant Bastard and I got zero and zilch back. It was like I was asking for the KGB's list of agents..... As for this brew it did not occur to me to ask Windmere, and while they surely wouldn't have gotten back to me in time for this Sunday's brew session it's good to know they are free with their recipes. I figured they'd all be secretive like Stone.

Here is the recipe from the clicky link above. I'll provide feedback once I taste it. I've already been to the LHBS (10 blocks away) and purchased the goods.

BrewOnBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by indios40 View Post
What can be improved upon with this version of Widmer Brr according to the % that Widmer actually utilizes:

7.75 # Briess Golden LME
1 or 1.5 # Cara-Pils
1 # Crystal 80L
1# Crystal 10L
1.5oz Dark Chocolate Malt

1 oz Warrior @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade @ 20 min
1 oz Simcoe @ 10 min

WLP0001 Cali Ale Yeast

Sorry 5 gallon batch with 4 gallon boil volume

1 Tsp IM @ 15 min

Steep specialty @ 154 for 30-45 min

1/3 LME @ biginning of boil
2/3 LME @ FO

Any assitance in critiquing or feedback appreciated

Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Just brewed up this bad boy. Nothing (that I know of) went horribly wrong with the brew procedure so hopefully she'll be one of my better batches.

Only problem is, I don't want to wait as long as I probably should....

What do you think my best use of time is? 2 weeks in the fermenter and 4 in the bottle or 4 in the fermenter and then 2 in the bottle?

BrewOnBoard

Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1769 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

Give it the time it needs in primary to finish out,clean up,& settle out clear or slightly misty. Then try at 4 weeks in the bottle,1 week in the fridge.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewOnBoard View Post
Clicky = thanky! I almost forgot how cool this website really is. Ask a question, and get a better than expected answer (a recipe from the brewery no less!) in less than 30 min. Awesome!

TheBeerist, Was that a rant? Nawww.... Sounded like a regular question to me. To answer your question, I did try grilling Stone about Arrogant Bastard and I got zero and zilch back. It was like I was asking for the KGB's list of agents..... As for this brew it did not occur to me to ask Windmere, and while they surely wouldn't have gotten back to me in time for this Sunday's brew session it's good to know they are free with their recipes. I figured they'd all be secretive like Stone.

Here is the recipe from the clicky link above. I'll provide feedback once I taste it. I've already been to the LHBS (10 blocks away) and purchased the goods.

BrewOnBoard

Feedback = The best beer I've ever brewed. This beer was effing tasty! Very much like Windmer's Brrr and I think my technique has improved in a couple places as well. Very good recipe!

I got several nods in the form of "You brewed this??" Wife was drinking it up and I downed it pretty quick as well. Plan on brewing it again this weekend.

BrewOnBoard

PS My LHBS moved. I probably shouldn't complain because they're now a 25min drive away. They used to be a 10min walk away though!

Quick Reply