Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carboy Dangers (and potential death)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
ODI3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If anyone thinks that their constant thoughts of "dont grab the carboy as it breaks" is going to avoid injury your fooling yourself.

I was emptying my carboy in my apt sink last new years eve and bumped it on the sink, it literally shattered in my hands while full of water. As it broke, I just slightly flinched and sliced my palm open. Glass from a broken carboy is insanely sharp, jagged and thick. I got of extremely lucky and refuse to use another carboy again. New years eve resolution I bought 4, 6 gallon SS bayou pots for fermenters and havent looked back.

One thing to assist with avoiding injury is using hot or warm water in carboys. For some reason it makes them incredibly weak.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply