Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carboy Dangers (and potential death)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
NJtarheel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would surely hate to see that happen to anyone else. It wasn't a pretty scene. It certainly was a freak accident. I remember the Dr. in the emergency room said that the only way to have saved him was if a surgeon was on the spot...

Just be careful, everyone!!!!

(Sorry to bring people down. It wasn't my intention. )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
mcarb
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was hiking in death valley once. We stopped for lunch and I was handing my brother a jar of jelly when I slipped and fell. Shoved that jar right into my hand. Being twenty miles from the nearest road and hours from a real hospital, I was lucky I didn't cut myself worse. I don't carry glass in my pack anymore.

But I do have five glass carboys. This brings up a good point and I will probably buy the better brewers if I need more, but i am not giving up my glass carboys.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #13
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtarheel View Post
I would surely hate to see that happen to anyone else. It wasn't a pretty scene. It certainly was a freak accident. I remember the Dr. in the emergency room said that the only way to have saved him was if a surgeon was on the spot...

Just be careful, everyone!!!!

(Sorry to bring people down. It wasn't my intention. )
When I first read your post I though "Oh no... another one of those 'Make it illegal to ride a bike without a helmet" people." Actually, after thinking about it - I applaud your post. Truthfully, when I first started brewing I had NO idea of how dangerous those glass carboys can be. I broke one myself, drunk, stumbling around in the dark in my kitchen. I was lucky I did not fall on the sucker and slice myself up BAD!

Thank you for letting us know just how careful you need to be when you use the glass carboys! Your bro certainly would want us all to know.

Peace

Old 03-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #14
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I must say that this thread has been an eye opener for me. I have a glass carboy for use as a secondary but I seldom secondary anymore. I'm getting lazier with age I guess.

Sorry for your loss and what must have been a horrific experience. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
NJtarheel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the support from the forum. I really appreciate it!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1857 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1335

I've cut myself up on those big glass jugs since I was a kid. Plastic from now on,it's peace of mind to me. And I truly feel your pain. I talked my parents into letting my youngest brother stay at his buddies house for his 1st sleep over. The next day,my younger bro & I were picking wild strawberries About a mile away from a big skid/thump/crash at an intersection with a train overpass in Elyria,OH where we lived at the time. It was my youngest brother, not quite 10. It was June 1970-72. A black RN that was there revived him,but the damage was too great. I have to live with that. You don't forget it,it just gets easier to live with.
Or,another saying tells us that "time is the fire in which we burn".

Old 03-19-2011, 04:37 AM   #17
LarryC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I just broke a 6 1/2 carboy a few weeks ago - got lucky and just had to clean up glass shards - no lost beer, no blood. I'm replacing it with a Better Bottle.

One thought to those of you with little ones & buckets - those can be deadly too. Keep the brew gear where it is safe for all...

Old 03-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Wow! what a tragedy....
I use Sanke kegs and BB for fermenting. I do have one glass carboy that I use 1 or 2 times a year and it always freaks me out a little.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 03-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #19
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use Better Bottles, but do have one glass carboy. My rules for handling it (in no particular order):

1. I always use a milk crate or BrewHauler to carry it.
2. I never handle it out of the crate with more than two or three quarts of liquid in it - I always siphon out most of the contents before picking it up and upending it to drain.
3. I don't handle it if my hands or the outside of the carboy is wet - dry off first.
4. I'm careful about thermal shock - hot liquid into a cold carboy or vice versa.
5. I'm damned careful not to bump it against anything while I'm holding it.
6. I don't pick it up and shake it to agitate - I only use this for seconday, but if I did use it for primary, then for aerating, I would use an airstone with pump or oxygen; for cleaning (after soaking) I put about a half gallon of cleaning solution in it, lay it on its side and roll it back and forth (this works well on my 5 gallon, don't know about the 6.5 gallon ones).
7. I don't handle it if I've been drinking.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
kicknbrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow... I have two glass carboys that I've been using and always had this tingly sensation when I moved them, especially when full. I wrote it off to being a noob and just being silly, but not any more.

I've been thinking of getting a few buckets. Sounds like it might be time. Thank you, NJ.

Quick Reply