Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carbonbation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
NoMoore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carbonbation

This may sound weird to you guys, but what the heck.

I notice when I am out somewhere and the change the keg, the beer towards the end of the first keg is always better.

The bubbles seem smaller and the beer is tastier. If you stir some of the bubbles out of the new keg beer it tastes much better. If you stir too much it gets flat. It's like there is some carbonation in the first half of the keg that shouldn't be there.

In my keg at home, it's pretty consistent, but generally is best around the half way mark.

ANy ideas? Am I even making sense?

"The Devil Made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own." --Black Rose, Willie Nelson

"Harleys are the most effective machine at turning gas into noise without the side effect of horsepower" --Ruptured Duc 6/5/07
The 3 B's
Beer
Boobs
Burnouts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
IowaHarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It sounds like you prefer a lower carbonation level. Is this also temperature relative?

I personally don't like a lot of carbonation. I don't like flat beer either, just a lower carbonation level. Maybe you could back off the pressure gauge on the CO2 and see if this is it.

Of course the beer towards the end of the keg is a goodly number of beers after the beginning. My BBQ is pretty good. But after a handfull of beers it is the food of the gods.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
Moonpile

Recipes 

Ceiling cat is watching your beer carbonbate.

(sorry, just couldn't help it.)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
NoMoore
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHarry View Post

Of course the beer towards the end of the keg is a goodly number of beers after the beginning. My BBQ is pretty good. But after a handfull of beers it is the food of the gods.

"The Devil Made me do it the first time. The second time I done it on my own." --Black Rose, Willie Nelson

"Harleys are the most effective machine at turning gas into noise without the side effect of horsepower" --Ruptured Duc 6/5/07
The 3 B's
Beer
Boobs
Burnouts

Old 01-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Brewmasters Warehouse
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The second half of your kegs at home are probably better due to the extra conditioning time compared to the first half. The last pint of my beer is almost always better then the first few pints.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Quick Reply