Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carbonation problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
Spot29er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonation problem

My last batch, a Belgian Abbey, tasted great, but many of the bottles did not carbonate. I followed the same sanitizing procedures as always. Any idea why this happened, and is there anything I can do to save this batch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How long were the in the bottles at 70 before you started cracking them?

If you are talking about a strong belgian ale, more than likely they wouldn't even begin carbing and conditioning for at leat 6-8 weeks...anything less than 8 weeks I wouldn't even worry...Heck my 1.090 Belgian Strong took 3 months to carb up...

Read this, and if it's only been a few weeks, then relax...

Read this;
Revvy's Blog, Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Lazy Llama diagramed it best...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Spot29er
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It has been 6 weeks or so, a couple of the beers have had a very good carbonation, but more have not.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
albannach
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The most likely problem is that the priming sugar was not thoroughly mixed into the beer before bottling.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Lazy Llama diagramed it best...

I must agree, Llama's comprehensive diagram really helped me, as a new brewer, to understand all the complexities in the carbing/conditioning equation. I'm fairly certain nomination for some sort of international prize is in his future.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:33 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by albannach View Post
The most likely problem is that the priming sugar was not thoroughly mixed into the beer before bottling.
No...more than likely if a few are now carbed, the rest just haven't come online yet. They are each in their own little yeastie "eco-systems" so they all have their own time frames.

You might consider rolling the bottles once on their side to re-suspend the yeast and make sure the temp is 70 or above...and they will come to carb eventually.

If it's 6 weeks, betcha by 8 they will be fine. If you read the blog I linked you'll see I've had stouts and porters take 8 weeks, but they carbed eventually.

Heck even in Old English brewing books, they don't add any priming sugar at all in some lower grav beers, and let the co2 build up over time...of course it's not like the highly carbed beer we americans were raised on, but they are at the lower end of our carbontation range if we use software. In fact I ran the numbers of some of those recipes in beersmith and some of the numbers actually came up in the negative for amount of sugar added...meaning you didn't need to add any sugar at all, you just had to let them sit and they would reach the mid range of carbonation...with patience.

So more than likely if you agitate the yeast make sure the temp is above 70 and walk away for a bot longer, they will all starting "popping."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-04-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
TommyBoy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just a thought

Did you heat up water and dissolve your corn sugar in it prior to adding to the beer?

I am not sure if the yeast can easily feed off the sugar if it has settled to the bottom of your bottles due to not dissolving prior to adding to the beer.

I could be wrong but I though I would throw that in.

Heros are made 10 gallons at a time.

Kegged/On Tap - Double IPA
Conditioning - Orange Ale

Old 06-05-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Spot29er
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all your input

Quick Reply