New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carbonation Level

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Nil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carbonation Level

I read that one can decide the level of carbonation by using a nomograph & the wort temperature, draw a line through the desired carbon dioxide volume and reading the sugar quantity required.

Came into my knowledge that different styles of beers have different carbon dioxide volume levels requirements.

Can someone advice what might be the impact of carbon dioxide volume in the final beer taste?

Thanks, Nil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 809 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 1820

Hi Nil. Here's an online calculator to help you determine the amount of priming sugar you want to use. The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

Its based on the style of beer, as you said, so I don't think its so much about better or worse, rather than 'to style' or 'against style', if that makes sense. Carbonation isn't a defect, rather a difference.

I have had a beer that tasted a little harsh because of (I think) too high carbonation for the style. I would describe the flavor as harsh and minerally.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I use this priming calculator; http://http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
You can change the number in the "volumes of co2" box to whatever was listed next to the beer style chosen. It'll then tell you how much of what priming sugar/DME to use to get that volume.

Quick Reply