Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Carb help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #11
Braid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Agreed that the sugar may be the key, but I was also wondering how much head space you're leaving in the bottles and what type of bottles you use.

Too little headspace will lead to undercarbing and too much will cause overcarbing.

A friend and I found that the bottles mattered too as far as flippies are concerned. The bottle he bought hardly carbed at all compared to the ones we freecycled. Upon investigating, we found that the purchased bottles had non ceramic lids with slightly larger holes through the cap than their ceramic counterparts. The larger hole didn't allow the bail to apply as much clamping pressure as the others.

I think I'll be investing in a scale soon too btw

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
MajorTom
Recipes 

The scale is the way to go. I just have a cheap digital one from walmart. But I can measure everything out to the gram and that is what I do for priming sugar. I just use one of the on line programs to figure the amount of sugar to use. Simply choose the volume of CO2 and your fermenting temperature and how much brew you want to carb. Multiply the ounces of sugar it gives by 28.3 to convert to grams, weigh it out. I do it this way and have gotten very consistent carbonation levels. And it is easy to keep track of the level used and that way if you aren't happy with it you can easily raise it or lower it .1, .2 volumes for your next batch.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #13
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Agreed that the sugar may be the key, but I was also wondering how much head space you're leaving in the bottles and what type of bottles you use.

Too little headspace will lead to undercarbing and too much will cause overcarbing.

A friend and I found that the bottles mattered too as far as flippies are concerned. The bottle he bought hardly carbed at all compared to the ones we freecycled. Upon investigating, we found that the purchased bottles had non ceramic lids with slightly larger holes through the cap than their ceramic counterparts. The larger hole didn't allow the bail to apply as much clamping pressure as the others.

I think I'll be investing in a scale soon too btw
I bottle in standard brown bottles; Sam Adams, SN, Widmer....capped and stored in a 70f closet. I use a bottle wand when I bottle, so the head space is set and consistent. I used carb tablets once and the beer was dead nuts, so I am a little confused why I cannot get good carb with sugar.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Quick Reply