capturing c02

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonofbeer

Reaction score
As i was moving the blow off tube from the bucket that was bubbling away, I had a thought, Instead of the c02 just wasting away..Is there any way to capture it?

I know its only like 12bucks for a 5lb tank exchange but still.... 12 bucks is 12 bucks.

Just a thought.... Might have had to many beers allready :mug:

search forums, covered before, and totally not worth the expense at the home level (not to mention the CO2 has to be scrubbed because there's other stuff coming out, aside from phenols and esters, that you don't want to inject into your beer to carb/serve it)

okay,
Guess i will forget that idea and just stick with making different kinds of beers instead.
Least if i mess up, I can drink my mistake :mug:

Not sure if this is along the lines you are thinking, but a lot of micro breweries will close off the blow of valves during the fermentation process on their fermenter to capture CO2 being produced and partially carbonate their beer before cold crashing the tanks and bottling. I would not recommend this method with a bucket, carboy or BB. If you had a conical that has a pressure tested rating that would likely be OK, assuming you have a pressure gauge installed. Also wouldn't go this route if bottle conditioning your beer.

Back