LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
Plumeja
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Capping

Wondering if there two types of crown caps cause I tried some of my beer out of a twist top bottle. It didn't seem to be so tight of a fit on the bottle. I use good pressure when capping the bottles. The caps where free with the kit so I guess I thought one size fits all. Oh and the bottles are standard beer bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Unless you have a bench capper, you cannot really use twist off bottles for bottling homebrew. And even using them with a bench capper can sometime be risky because the neck on those is often thinner that crown capped bottles and may break.

Somewhere on here is a list of canadian microbrews that are in crown cappable bottles as opposed to twist offs.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Actually noone put the list together, but there are some suggestions here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
Plumeja
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used a bench capper. So I should now longer use them and go right the golrish bottles then? I will still drink the beer but should I do it faster then wait???

Old 07-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Twist of bottles would normally use a purpose built cap that, well, twists on. You need specialized equipment to attach those so the homebrew option is to use crimp caps and a bench capper. I have never done this but the body of anecdotes suggests that it may sorta work.

I would buy as many import beers as you can (most US craft and all Euro craft will be crimped on caps) and save the bottles. When you visit the US, bring back lots of crimp top craft beer. You'll have to pay duty if you go over the exemption (well maybe, I have been exempted duty more often than not, but I always declare) but I find that is lower than people suspect it will be. I was over my exemption by several liters coming into Japan last week and the duty was 100 yen, or about $1.20.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Funny I have been saving Howe Sound bottles...they are 1 quart capable flip-tops!

Quick Reply