The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can't get the Flavor Out of the Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
gyst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Do you know the difference between bittering, flavoring, and aroma hops? If you want to front load the bitter, you at a ton of hops at the beginning of the boil, not the end (see amandabab's hop schedule). Alpha acids in the hops are isomerized to iso-alpha acids during the boil, which is the bitter you taste, but they need time - 60-90 minutes of boiling. Now, hop flavor is added by 30-15 minute boils, and aroma by short (5min to flameout) and by dryhopping. All these things together make up what we think of as 'hop flavor' - you taste with your nose as much as your mouth, aroma is important - but for pure bitter, you need to add lots of hops at the beginning of the boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #22
tonyc318
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Both of those last two posts have great points! Gelatin can strip out some particles, true, making clear beer but it can also strip out flavor. And I totally didn't think about the chilling! If you routinely take more than about 15-20 minutes to chill your wort, you're effectively not really doing late additions and instead maybe 30 minute additions if the wort stays hot past flame out.
So, if you're not able to chill super fast with a therminator or even an IC, at what point do you suggest adding the hops post boil for the hop bursting effect?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #23
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318 View Post
So, if you're not able to chill super fast with a therminator or even an IC, at what point do you suggest adding the hops post boil for the hop bursting effect?
You aren't going to get a hop bursting effect if you aren't chilling. Your best bet there is to toss the finishing hops in after you turn off the boil. You could also make a steeped "hop tea" and add that to the carboy, and dry hopping is always an option. These are all things that I did when "no-chill" brewing.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
tonyc318
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarven_stout

You aren't going to get a hop bursting effect if you aren't chilling. Your best bet there is to toss the finishing hops in after you turn off the boil. You could also make a steeped "hop tea" and add that to the carboy, and dry hopping is always an option. These are all things that I did when "no-chill" brewing.
Im putting together a session style cda for my next beer and was thinking about throwing in 3 oz of hops into the wort after I take it off the burner and start with the ice bath. Wild that work ok? Sorry if I'm hijacking the OP, but I think this applies since we are exploring getting great flavor and aroma from the hops.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyc318 View Post
Im putting together a session style cda for my next beer and was thinking about throwing in 3 oz of hops into the wort after I take it off the burner and start with the ice bath. Would that work ok? Sorry if I'm hijacking the OP, but I think this applies since we are exploring getting great flavor and aroma from the hops.
I lack a wort-chiller, so I tried the following for my recent brews with great results.

Boil your bittering hops for about 45 minutes. When you kill the flame, just let the wort sit until it's about 190F. You can spray the outside of the kettle with a garden hose if you want to move things along. Add your flavoring/aroma hops (I'd go about 1oz per gallon for a CDA/IPA/etc...) and let it sit about 15-20 minutes. Apply ice bath. You can dry-hop in secondary if you didn't get the aroma you wanted, although I didn't in mine, as the aroma was pretty close to sticking my head in a bag of pellet hops.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
tonyc318
Recipes 

Perfect! That's what I was hoping. Glad you have had good results.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #27
29thfloor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
I lack a wort-chiller, so I tried the following for my recent brews with great results.

Boil your bittering hops for about 45 minutes. When you kill the flame, just let the wort sit until it's about 190F. You can spray the outside of the kettle with a garden hose if you want to move things along. Add your flavoring/aroma hops (I'd go about 1oz per gallon for a CDA/IPA/etc...) and let it sit about 15-20 minutes. Apply ice bath. You can dry-hop in secondary if you didn't get the aroma you wanted, although I didn't in mine, as the aroma was pretty close to sticking my head in a bag of pellet hops.
Is there some reason flavoring/aroma hops would be more effective around 190F instead of boiling? I've never heard of doing it that way before. Is boiling only necessary for the bittering additions?
Secondary:
Kegged: Caramel Hard Cider, Belgian Milk Stout, Double Wit
Bottled: Berliner Weisse, Oaked Tripel Brett, Dawson's Kriek, Sweet Mead

Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #28
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Boiling hops adds bitterness but boils off flavor and aroma compounds. Steeping hops around 180F allows you to extract and keep these compounds without adding much additional bitterness. Pro brewers use a variety of fancy toys to steep hops in 180F wort post-boil. Since my setup is much humbler, my temps continue to drop throughout the steeping process, so I go with 190ish.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #29
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid
Boiling hops adds bitterness but boils off flavor and aroma compounds. Steeping hops around 180F allows you to extract and keep these compounds without adding much additional bitterness. Pro brewers use a variety of fancy toys to steep hops in 180F wort post-boil. Since my setup is much humbler, my temps continue to drop throughout the steeping process, so I go with 190ish.
This sounds similar to using a hop rocket?

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply