Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can't Get Anise Flavor Out of Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
bizybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can't Get Anise Flavor Out of Keg

So, I used 2 ounces of crushed star anise in my holiday beer, but since then I have yet to completely remove the flavor! After my beer ran out I cleaned with one step and filled the keg with my doppelbock. It quickly came to my attention that i did not sufficiently clean the keg, as the flavor was overpowering. After the doppelbock i decided to try cleaning with the one step again, put nose in keg, could still smell the anise, cleaned with oxy clean, could still smell it and then cleaned with diluted chlorine. After the chlorine i assumed that the smell was gone because I didnt smell it at the time, but after tapping into my schwarzbier I still taste the anise! Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything you guys know of that works especially well against anise? Any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #2
rockfish42
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might have to replace the o-rings, are you removing the posts for cleaning?

Old 05-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

First, you should never use chlorine in your keg...it will start to pit the stainless and pretty soon you will have flavors and smells you will never get rid of. Chances are is that you can get rid of the oil from the star, and I am guessing that the majority of it is still in your dip tube...you could disassemble it, in which I recommend following these instructions ( http://www.wikihow.com/Assemble-a-Cornelius-Keg ) or you could clean it with a food safe degreaser, such as 1 part white vinegar with 1 part water...filled to the top of the keg and let sit over night.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 32

did you replace all 5 o-rings yet? They are the only porous material, everything else is stainless and shouldn't absorb any smells or flavors.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:49 AM   #5
bizybrewer
Recipes 

I have not replaced any of the o rings. I have some extras so i will try that. The degreaser formula is good to know as well. Thanks!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
rgontasz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It could also be in your tubing. I've done beers with anise and didn't have a problem, but if it sat on the rubber tubing for a while, it could be that. Every time I kick a keg, I immediately clean the keg and run about 1.5 gallons of boiling water through the keg/tap then sanitize. Works like a charm for me so far!

Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
jkreuze
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like it might have been . .

wait for it

. . . Satan's Anise?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah, add my voice to that. You really should do a 'keg rebuild' -replace the o-rings (all of them, including the ones that are on the dip tube and the gas-in tublete. Pull the whole thing apart, give the parts a good cleaning (if you don't have a dip-tube brush, get one! ) and once you re-assemble (don't forget to use a light coating of keg lube/grease) you shouldn't have this problem any longer.
I rebuild my kegs about once a year (and they would likely last much longer, its just 'my thing') but I always keep plenty of post O-rings handy (bought a bag of a hundred of those and the mini-O-rings for the tubes).

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Quick Reply