Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Canning Malt Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
shazster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Canning Malt Extract

Has anyone out there in the "brewasphere" had any experience with home canning (mason jars, lids, canning pots, etc.) with respect to malt extract?
I buy a basic light diastatic malt from a local wholesaler in a 5 gal. pail format that I use in place of sugar/as the basis for a basic beer/or in the making of partial mash-partial malt extract brews.
I have found it very versatile but the format is a real B-word to work with (takes up lots of fridge room, messy to measure or weigh, messy to put in brewpot, just messy messy messy). While helping my girlfriend with her last tomato canning batch, I got the idea that it might be a good idea to break down the next pail I buy into standard 1 or 2L canning jars right off the bat for more manageable quantities, standard measurements for recipe formulation & reproducability, less mess, less waste, long term storabilty, etc.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever tried tried this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
scoundrel
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The problem is Botulism can infect canned goods that are not acidic and is a real possibility. The only sure way to kill it off would be to use a pressure cooker. I do this to create starters since starters don't have hops. Unfortunately, I don't think this can be canned in a safe manner.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
celticcolorado
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I do something somewhat similar. I brew all grain and instead of using extract to make starters, I make an extra liter or 2 of wort when I brew and save it in mason jars. This way I have pre-boiled and sanitized wort ready to go and I just need to warm it up and add yeast for a starter, it works really well.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
shazster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
The problem is Botulism can infect canned goods that are not acidic and is a real possibility. The only sure way to kill it off would be to use a pressure cooker. I do this to create starters since starters don't have hops. Unfortunately, I don't think this can be canned in a safe manner.
We have all the gear required. I can use standard canning pot or pressure cooker. Standard boil pot usually gets used for veggies & sauces without meat. Pressure canner gets used for anything with meat (ie. spaghetti sauce etc.). I don't think I will need to go as far as pressure canning (higher heat), but would like to know if anyone had any issues with the heat required for basic boil-canning process on their malt...

Old 02-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will work fine. No reason to pressure cook, just steam your jars, then fill them and put into a boiling water bath for about 20-30 minutes. The lids will suck down tight when it cools.

Not much will live in a high sugar environment, and on the odd chance you might get a bit of something fuzzy on top, remember you are going to boil this really well when you go to brew with it..

Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/mak...r-wort-160425/

check this thread out

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
shazster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticcolorado View Post
I do something somewhat similar. I brew all grain and instead of using extract to make starters, I make an extra liter or 2 of wort when I brew and save it in mason jars. This way I have pre-boiled and sanitized wort ready to go and I just need to warm it up and add yeast for a starter, it works really well.
Really looking for info more on the canning of concentrated extract (wort being less viscous of course). I will file away the wort starter idea as I want to start getting into yeast culturing. (Unibroue makes a lot of bottled-on-lees brews and I would like to take a serious shot at using their yeasts- so thanks for that one.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazster View Post
Really looking for info more on the canning of concentrated extract (wort being less viscous of course). I will file away the wort starter idea as I want to start getting into yeast culturing. (Unibroue makes a lot of bottled-on-lees brews and I would like to take a serious shot at using their yeasts- so thanks for that one.
disregard my thread then.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
shazster
Recipes 

Done and Done...
Summary: Standard canning pot (pressure canner not required) 20-30min boil & can as you would anything else without meat. Thanks for all your feedback guys & the canning starter wort replies just add to my "gotta try this too" list...

-Shazter

Old 02-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I don't agree that you can do this with a water bath canner. That's only for acidic foods. You need to use a pressure canner with low acid foods. You're encouraging botulism if you don't use a pressure canner!

Quick Reply