Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Canning beer at home

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
Ultra-Medic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had craft brews from a can, but I think my personal reasons were mentioned earlier... I relate drinking beer from a can. To me, beer is BMC, & 211. When I pour from a bottle I think of it as ale, or lager... a more refined quality version of "beer". Funny how our minds work.

But I think BYO had an article on this last issue. Basically because of the cost if the canning machine & need to bulk order... it's just not feasible for a home brewer. But quality wise, cans supposedly surpass bottles because light will not penetrate them, and todays aluminum cans are sealed to prevent the metallic twang of the past. But my mind just doesn't easily accept it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #22
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A number of the microbreweries here in AZ are canning their beer now. It isn't practical at the home brew level though.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #23
binaryc0de
Torrence Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

What about reusing aluminum bottles? True, you have to endure drinking the beer that's inside (and I can't recall if those are twist tops or not) but some BMC drinking friends could just drink it for you. I have to keep some around for non-enlightened beer drinkers anyways. I've been thinking about this for taking homebrew on float trips in place of buying small portable kegs (if you get caught with glass bottles you get a fine).

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
WIBeerGeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryc0de View Post
What about reusing aluminum bottles? True, you have to endure drinking the beer that's inside (and I can't recall if those are twist tops or not) but some BMC drinking friends could just drink it for you. I have to keep some around for non-enlightened beer drinkers anyways. I've been thinking about this for taking homebrew on float trips in place of buying small portable kegs (if you get caught with glass bottles you get a fine).
My big deal with using aluminum bottles is that I wouldn't want to drink what is originally packaged in them. :-/

Old 03-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #25
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate00 View Post
I actually think the opposite. My friend and I are finding the cans to be superior to bottles. We have done a few side by side tastes, and the canned craft brews are better. We think it's because they have to condition cans versus force carbonating bottles. It's most noticeable with new Belgium fat tire. The cans are way better than the bottles.
I've been waiting for awhile now for Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale cans and finally found them at my local package store, so I picked up a case for a party this weekend. A few buddies and I, who are all VERY familiar with SNPA (to say the least! Lol) thought the cans seemed to be a smoother, cleaner version of the beer than bottles.

Now, being the cans were just released and the brew date was early February this was definitely fresh beer. Either way, I'm hooked as cans are just all around easier to deal with in my opinion. I'm all for the canning movement!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #26
Ramitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopheadNJ View Post
I've been waiting for awhile now for Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale cans and finally found them at my local package store, so I picked up a case for a party this weekend. A few buddies and I, who are all VERY familiar with SNPA (to say the least! Lol) thought the cans seemed to be a smoother, cleaner version of the beer than bottles.

Now, being the cans were just released and the brew date was early February this was definitely fresh beer. Either way, I'm hooked as cans are just all around easier to deal with in my opinion. I'm all for the canning movement!
Me too, except I fear a future were it is much more expensive for home brewers to bottle, time to hoard, as if I needed an excuse

Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #27
WeaponTheyFear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think it'd make any sense at the homebrew level. I'm sure even that machine costs more than any homebrewer would be willing to spend. I know that is how New England Brewing Company cans all their beers although they are looking into a canning line which costs about $95,000.

Bagger Brewing Co.

Named after our fantasy football team, Jewish Chocolate Covered Tea Bags

Quick Reply