New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Canning beer at home

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
arg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Neat! Not really a feasible solution for all but the most lavishly rich and financially irresponsible home brewers, but it would be awesome to can at home using one of those systems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Ultra-Medic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know it's supposed to be cheaper in the long run, portable, & with newer technologies not effect the taste... but perhaps it's just me, I still prefer bottles and feel the product tends to be of higher quality. A cleaner, pure flavor. Sure cans eliminate light exposure & supposedly no longer impart that aluminum twang. They are Eco-friendly, lighter, efficiently stored... yet I just don't enjoy the product I pour nearly as much. Perhaps I need a side-by-side. Meh.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
NervousDad
BFM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 162 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Growing up I'd drink any beer that had the most beer per $, which was usually Meister Brau @ $8 for 30 cans. It tasted terrible, so now I always attribute cans to cheap beer even though it's really not the case anymore.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
Mellman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

neat - curious on cost just for curiosity's sake...no way its going to be affordable for a home brewer. Just the cost of cans (and the quantity you'd have to buy) would make it unreasonable.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
WIBeerGeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-Medic View Post
I know it's supposed to be cheaper in the long run, portable, & with newer technologies not effect the taste... but perhaps it's just me, I still prefer bottles and feel the product tends to be of higher quality. A cleaner, pure flavor. Sure cans eliminate light exposure & supposedly no longer impart that aluminum twang. They are Eco-friendly, lighter, efficiently stored... yet I just don't enjoy the product I pour nearly as much. Perhaps I need a side-by-side. Meh.
I have heard of a few blind taste tests with the new type of cans, mostly over on Basic Brewing Radio, and supposedly with the new cans a canned beer is indistinguishable from a bottled one.

And if you haven't had it, and of the beers out of Oskar Blues are great, and they can everything without any of the added aluminum tanginess.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
WIBeerGeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellman View Post
neat - curious on cost just for curiosity's sake...no way its going to be affordable for a home brewer. Just the cost of cans (and the quantity you'd have to buy) would make it unreasonable.
Compared to the cost of buying bottles, I would think it would be much cheaper.

Granted a unit is far higher than the price point that most home brewers are looking to come in at, but it seems like a much cheaper option for anyone looking to go pro.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #17
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBeerGeek View Post
Compared to the cost of buying bottles, I would think it would be much cheaper.
But you can buy a single case of bottles. The smallest order for cans is a pallet (something riduculous like 10k cans). Per unit it would likely be cheaper, but you can't just purchase what you need.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #18
Kate00
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-Medic
I actually think the opposite. My friend and I are finding the cans to be superior to bottles. We have done a few side by side tastes, and the canned craft brews are better. We think it's because they have to condition cans versus force carbonating bottles. It's most noticeable with new Belgium fat tire. The cans are way better than the bottles.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
ChickenArise
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Why do cans have to be conditioned? That is news to me.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
arg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same...I would not think that there is a difference in carbonation procedures for canning versus bottling.

Quick Reply