Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Candi Syrup (not sugar) and Beet Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
hiphops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Candi Syrup (not sugar) and Beet Sugar

There's a lot of literature out there on making candi sugar. However, not so much on making candi syrup.

Anyone got a recipe on making candi syrup?

Also, I understand that in making candi sugar, you need beet sugar, as opposed to cane sugar. Does anyone know which brand sugars beet sugar? Most of the ingredients I see simply say "sugar" without specifying whether its beet sugar.

Swim - bike - run - repeat
Indict - convict - affirm on appeal - repeat
Brew - bottle - drink - repeat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Here's a cool recipe put together by someone here. I'm guessing this is invert sugar with various levels of carmelization. I used it on my Belgian Tripel and it turned out great. I added 1/3 of it to the boil at 260F (light), 1/3 at 270F (light amber), and 1/3 at 280F (medium amber).

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/

As for beet sugar, I can't seem to find the link. But somewhere in this vast internet was a good write up on how to decode the lot codes from sugar packages. I found out my local Cub Foods brand sugar (Twin Cities, MN) was beet sugar processed in North Dakota. Don't know that this makes a difference, but I too wanted it to be as close as possible.

Primary #1: Border Crossing Vienna #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Black Currant Wine #3:Empty
Kegged
: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown
Bottles
: 2H IPA III, Carmel Apple Cider, Spruced Winter Warmer, Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Ice Shanty Bock

Old 08-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
ozzy1038
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am going to make some for a caramel ale. Although I discovered that my LHBS has candi syrup in every SRM imaginable!! I have to give a big kudos to my LHBS. Not once have they been out of an ingredient I have needed. Except once and that was a White Labs platinum strain WLP670. So I can't fault them for that.

Primary: Hopped Up Brown

Bottled: Litehaus Wheat, Orange APA, Rauchbier, Willy's Cream Stout

Kegged: Tank 7 Clone renamed "Le Ferme" (dryhopped cascade, sorachi), Caramel Amber Ale, Trout Bum APA, 3 Dogs APA

Gallons Brewed Since June: 53.5

Old 08-29-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Syrup is no different in terms of color, sugar content, etc. than solid sugar. It just depends on whether it has been crystalized or not.

You can use the same recipe for both you just need to add more acid to invert and keep it from crystallizing.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts

The only reason beet sugar is used in Belgium is that they don't grow sugar cane anywhere close to there.

In the US, people prefer cane sugar (not for rational reasons) so if the origin is sugar cane, the package will say so. If it does not specify, it is very likely from beets.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Beezy
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard
The only reason beet sugar is used in Belgium is that they don't grow sugar cane anywhere close to there.

In the US, people prefer cane sugar (not for rational reasons) so if the origin is sugar cane, the package will say so. If it does not specify, it is very likely from beets.
Actually the normal table sugar in the states is beet as well. Unless it specifically says cane on the package it ain't cane.

From what I gather candi sugar is kind of a rip off unless it's the dark caramelized kind. I haven't really made my mind up about that yet tho.

Quick Reply