Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Canadian HBS stops mail order. Who's left?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 AM   #11
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions
...I bought a 500g brick of safale 04 already...
How long does a brick like that last? I'm using Nottingham almost exclusively (I make mostly English ales and stouts) and I was wondering about saving some money and buying a brick. But it would take me a long time to go through 500g at 11g a batch.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2008, 05:12 AM   #12
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yes, it is very sad that Paddock Wood has closed its retail shop. I actually got in one of their last orders on Friday.

Denny -- have you ordered from Dan's Homebrew in Van or Askims Homebrew in Vic? Both seem like good places, and probably the best out west. I have also done a fair bit of business from Skinaney, but shipping gets to be pretty expensive. I just placed a hop and grain order with La Cachette de Bootlegger in Montreal, and they seem great. None of these places have the variety or web savvy that Paddock Wood had, though.

I hate to say it, but I will probably end up using Morebeer.com a lot more in the future. They ship USPS to Canada (one of the few big online HBS to do so), so shipping is actually cheaper than from within Canada for me. Plus, now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar, it is actually pretty cheap to go through them in the long run.

BTW: sAvAgE -- where are you shopping for brewing supplies? If you don't already, go to Southside Brew Crew. I picked up a sack of two-row there a year ago for about 10 or 15% above cost. You should be able to order a sack of Maris Otter from them for less than $50, I would guess. If not, take a trip down the QE2 and pick up some Maris Otter from Canada Malting -- I think I paid $35 from them last year. Their warehouse is near Red Deer.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #13
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Yeah, buy from Dan on occassion when I'm in Vancouver. He doesn't take credit cards so payment is a bit of a pain.

Oh bradsul, I brick will last a long time but you really need to vacum seal it. I'm planning on dividing it into two sanitized vacum sealable containers. One I'll use on brewday then reseal. Store them in the freezer.

Nottingham Ale Danstar Nottingham Dry British Ale Yeast, 500gm block 500 gm $39.95 ea. at beerandfilter

I can't find any induvidual 11g safale/brew/lager packs in canada. What gives there??

I can order a brick or a box of sachettes, but not induvidual sachettes.

So, no shipping hassles with moorebeer?

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Yeah, buy from Dan on occassion when I'm in Vancouver. He doesn't take credit cards so payment is a bit of a pain.
Yeah -- I heard he was going to start using PayPal -- that is what Todd and Tracy do at Skinaney Brewing in Ottawa, and it works fine. I wish Dan would -- he could get a lot of new business with Paddock Wood out of the scene.

Quote:
I can't find any induvidual 11g safale/brew/lager packs in canada. What gives there??

I can order a brick or a box of sachettes, but not induvidual sachettes.
La Cachette du Bootlegger sells Fermentis yeast:
http://www.cachettedubootlegger.ca/grhopyst.html (scroll to bottom of page)

Quote:
So, no shipping hassles with moorebeer?
Nope -- done three orders in the last few months and they arrive after about a week. Ship USPS and it is cheap an no ridiculous brokerage fees like UPS or FedEx. If you keep your order under about $100 or $150, customs won't even bother with it so you are unlikely to even pay duty (if applicable) or GST.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://www.grainsmaltes.com/
http://www.biereetvin.com/english/english.htm

I've used them both and recommend them. Moût International Inc. also has grains not listed on the website.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
sAvAgE
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
Yes, it is very sad that Paddock Wood has closed its retail shop. I actually got in one of their last orders on Friday.

Denny -- have you ordered from Dan's Homebrew in Van or Askims Homebrew in Vic? Both seem like good places, and probably the best out west. I have also done a fair bit of business from Skinaney, but shipping gets to be pretty expensive. I just placed a hop and grain order with La Cachette de Bootlegger in Montreal, and they seem great. None of these places have the variety or web savvy that Paddock Wood had, though.

I hate to say it, but I will probably end up using Morebeer.com a lot more in the future. They ship USPS to Canada (one of the few big online HBS to do so), so shipping is actually cheaper than from within Canada for me. Plus, now that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the American dollar, it is actually pretty cheap to go through them in the long run.

BTW: sAvAgE -- where are you shopping for brewing supplies? If you don't already, go to Southside Brew Crew. I picked up a sack of two-row there a year ago for about 10 or 15% above cost. You should be able to order a sack of Maris Otter from them for less than $50, I would guess. If not, take a trip down the QE2 and pick up some Maris Otter from Canada Malting -- I think I paid $35 from them last year. Their warehouse is near Red Deer.
Thanks for the advice, yes that is where I shop for my supplies. I will definatley keep that in mind

Planning - a 40th Birthday Lager for Sept 09 (Start October 08

Next Up - First All Grain 40th birthday lager

Primary -

Secondary -
Secondary -

Bottled - Honey ApfelMead 02/23/08 ABV 10.0%
Bottled - Oktoberfest 5.2%
Bottled - Candian Light Lager 4.85
Bottled - Munich Dark Lager 5.6%

Drinking - Apfelwein FG 2/29/08 ABV 8.5%
Drinking - Brewhouse Cream Ale ABV 4.7%
Drinking - Brewhouse Pale Ale ABV 5.2%

Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Austin Homebrew will ship USPS now as well. I ordered in their 10% off HBT sale and shipping and customs on the $100CAD order was less than the fees on a $31USD order shipped UPS.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Quote:
...Oh bradsul, I brick will last a long time but you really need to vacum seal it. I'm planning on dividing it into two sanitized vacum sealable containers. One I'll use on brewday then reseal. Store them in the freezer.

Nottingham Ale Danstar Nottingham Dry British Ale Yeast, 500gm block 500 gm $39.95 ea. at beerandfilter...
Beer wine and filter looks pretty sweet, they aren't that far from my office, do you know if they have a storefront or is it just mail order?

Old 03-03-2008, 03:33 AM   #19
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
Beer wine and filter looks pretty sweet, they aren't that far from my office, do you know if they have a storefront or is it just mail order?
Give Bob a shout. It's his cell phone. I believe the hops are kept at a large refrigerated Warehouse.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
thebirdman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Evil Concoctions View Post
Give Bob a shout. It's his cell phone. I believe the hops are kept at a large refrigerated Warehouse.
For all who are interested my site is up and taking orders for all homebrew supplies, canadian based and operated out of toronto..
I'd post here but probably get poo poo, email me if you want the address

Quick Reply