Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Canada and home brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Dycokac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Canada and home brewing?

I'm putting out some feelers at the moment as I've had an offer of sorts to move there...

What's the laws say about home brewing? are they more lax than the US laws, or less?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I pretty much do as I want in Nova Scotia. A country boy can survive.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
Dycokac
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
I pretty much do as I want in Nova Scotia. A country boy can survive.
It's not different by province at all?

Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Essentially the same at the end of the day. Beer/wine/etc ok for personal use, distilling or distribution not ok without permit.

You will find the homebrew to be almost non-existent and good homebrew stores hard to come by. You will end up ordering a lot of stuff online and paying out the nose for shipping from the US (avoid UPS at all costs - and I mean that literally - brokerage fees from UPS often exceed the cost of the order). There are a few places to get ingredients in country on a small, homebrew scale - but again, selection is often poor. Fortunately, there are some clubs in some metropolitan areas who do bulk orders on stuff which can help tremendously.

Unfortunately alcohol distribution is all government controlled in most provinces and thus selection for craft beer is dismal at at most stores.

Canada is in the stone age as far as good beer is concerned. I usually end up having to buy from the local micro's direct if I run out of homebrew.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well im in Nova Scotia and as far as I know we can brew as much homebrew as we want as long as it is for personal consumpton. We also have tonns of homebrew stores down here as well - but we have a big country so depends on where ya are planning on living. I thik though as far as laws go it is the same province to province - only for personal consumption.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Depending on where you're looking to move you may or may not have access to a good LHBS. I have a couple not too bad ones nearby that I use but if you don't get that you need to order online and that is expensive as has been mentioned. Legally you can brew as much as you want from what I understand.

Commercial beer availability (especially US micros) is pathetic here in Ontario. The Beer Store is a joke (government sanctioned monopoly that is owned by the macro-breweries). The LCBO isn't much better (at least for beer, wine and spirits is another issue).

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Essentially the same at the end of the day. Beer/wine/etc ok for personal use, distilling or distribution not ok without permit.

You will find the homebrew to be almost non-existent and good homebrew stores hard to come by. You will end up ordering a lot of stuff online and paying out the nose for shipping from the US (avoid UPS at all costs - and I mean that literally - brokerage fees from UPS often exceed the cost of the order). There are a few places to get ingredients in country on a small, homebrew scale - but again, selection is often poor. Fortunately, there are some clubs in some metropolitan areas who do bulk orders on stuff which can help tremendously.

Unfortunately alcohol distribution is all government controlled in most provinces and thus selection for craft beer is dismal at at most stores.

Canada is in the stone age as far as good beer is concerned. I usually end up having to buy from the local micro's direct if I run out of homebrew.
I don't even think you can get a personal permit to distill in this country as in the US.

But I have found quite a few home brew stores online in this country that I can order from when I need to for specialty grains. Not much need to go to the US there.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brew what I want in beer and wine and although it takes some ingenuity to source ingredients, I do fine.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Quick Reply