Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can you lager a beer too long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
mpruett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Can you lager a beer too long?

Are there any ill effects on your beer from lagering for too long of a period?

If so, what time scale are we dealing with being too much? Days, weeks, months, years?

Also... if I'm aiming to serve a particular beer at an event, am I better off lagering it until about 2-3 weeks beforehand, then bottling/carbonating, or should I lager it for some set period, bottle, carbonate and let them age in the bottles for the remaining time?

Basically, I'm going to a birthday party in late March, and my beer's pretty much done lagering now according to the days / degree Plato calculations in Noonan's book, so I was wondering if I was better off bottling it now, or leaving it in the carboy in the fridge until closer to the party.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Months, ok; years, probably not.

I believe in bulk aging. On the other hand, I keg, so same-o. By bottling about a month ahead, you can verify carbonation and Total Quality(r).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a Octoberfest-Ale type beer in mid August and I wanted to save it until my kegs came online. That was at the start of the year. I lagered it in-between and it turned out awesome. As long as your beer isn't a super low alcohol brew and you don't exceed 6 months I think the beer will continue to improve. If its a big beer you can go longer, if it's around 3.5-4.2 I would let it age less.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Marzens are traditionally lagered for 7 months, i.e. brewed in March to be served in October. Lagering for 6-12 months should not be an issue.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Quick Reply