Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can I siphon into the primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Lepke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I siphon into the primary?

Hey all! Lost my funnel. Is it okay to siphon into the glass carboy for primary before pitching?

Starting this batch in a few.

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You have to cool your wort first, but that's how I do it. You leave most of the break material and hop waste behind that way.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
beerbeerbeer123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I do it all the time using a racking cane and auto syphon..make sure the wort is chilled first..and you can tie a muslin bag to the tip of the auto syphon to keep the transfered beer cleaner and free of break and hop particles but some will make it through but less..cheers

oh yeah make sure you sanitze the muslin bag in boiling water/star san before putting it in your wort

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I use an immersion chiller then typically let the beer settle for hours before racking to the primaries for fermentation. Usually have really clear wort out of the kettle.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply