Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can I ship this stuff?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Do not mark the box fragile. There's studies that have been done with UPS, USPS, and FedEx that show boxes marked fragile get handled rougher, dropped more often, and from higher heights.

Also though I've heard the yeast sample thing I wouldn't do that either. I tried before and UPS actually opened my box after I left the store and called me to come pick it back up because they wouldn't send it. So to me the 'yeast samples' just draws suspicion it might be alcohol. I'd tell em its hot sauce or something that has nothing to do with beer.... If they even ask.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Don3181
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

When I was getting beer on the month club deliveries, it came ups. Each bottle had a cardboard package and six bottles fit into a box tightly. I would assume ups knew that it was beer because they would have picked it up from the beer club or the brewer. Also, my mother gets wine delivered ups. And I sure they know its wine. It come direct from the winery.

Primary: Air
Kegged: Summer Ale. (SASA Clone, with lemon zest and grains of paradise)
Bottled: Theresa's Fury, Dry Irish Stout
(In champaigne bottles)

Old 01-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1246 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 3319

I've shipped both USPS and UPS ground before without problems either way. If you want it to take a week then send it UPS ground. Many here will tell you that it is against there rules etc but when I called UPS they said it is fine to ship alcohol.

http://www.ups.com/content/lv/en/about/news/service_updates/06092009_alcoholuk.html

If you want the package to make it in a decent amount of time then send it USPS priority mail and it will get there faster and just fine. Just package it up really well.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1949 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Too bad that's only certain countries in the UK & EU.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don3181 View Post
When I was getting beer on the month club deliveries, it came ups. Each bottle had a cardboard package and six bottles fit into a box tightly. I would assume ups knew that it was beer because they would have picked it up from the beer club or the brewer. Also, my mother gets wine delivered ups. And I sure they know its wine. It come direct from the winery.
The rules for FedEx and UPS shipping for businesses is different than for consumers. There is (or, was when I last looked it up) a process for obtaining approval for shipping alcohol commercially.

Whether it's legal to ship alcohol in the US is complicated. The rules are different for each state, and in states where it's legal, it may be different depending on who's shipping it, who's receiving it, etc. Plus there may be tax requirements. To make matters worse, the rules change frequently---for example, Indiana has repeatedly changed its laws in the last few years as they (happily) keep getting struck down.

If the shipper is the USPS, the rule is simple, though. It is against the law. (https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm) Don't do this.

If you're shipping with UPS/FedEx, it's up to you to determine whether it's legal between the states in question. If it is, then the only issue is with the shipper's policy. They may refuse the shipment, dispose of it, or send it back to you (not sure how they handle it), and it's possible you'd wind up on the hook for something if your bottles leaked and damaged someone else's package, but there aren't legal issues there.

There's no reason to play cutesy games like "yeast samples" or the like. You do not have to disclose the contents, and as others have said, it's not going to fool anyone. Certainly it's not going to make anything that was illegal become magically legal. If you're going to deceive the shipper in order to get them to accept a package, you might as well go whole hog and come up with something that's less likely to arouse suspicion---it won't be any more fraudulent.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Maybe not,but it works. A different story for claiming contents could be better. I saw on the news a couple months ago that the USPS is concidering allowing beer mailing to increase business. This since there are so many home brewers now. Would def be good for all concerned.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
philly224
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I usually use fedex and just pack it real good. I've used UPS before too but they asked me what it was and FedEx never does.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #18
BarefootFriar
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I mentioned this upthread, but didn't come outright and ask -- any experience with shipping from the US to Canada? Since whatever is inside has to be declared on customs forms, it seems that it would be a bit more likely to get searched or something.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #19
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

I'm wondering about that one too. I wanted to ship Craig a couple of my beers that he thought would be cool.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #20
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

So if its illegal via USPS and against policy for ups and FedEx, then how do the legit beer of the month clubs work? They ship you beer.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, 68' Wheat (Watermelon), Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Quick Reply