Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can I overdo hopping in my brew?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,039
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default Can I overdo hopping in my brew?

I have just created a recipe and I am planning to use 7.24 oz of hops (3 stages at boil and dry-hopping).

Here is the recipe: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/brew...on-sauvin-hops

I am wondering if the brew might turn out to be too hoppy to drink? Or will it have a nice, balanced hoppiness?

The IBU is 33...I know it is a bit low for an IPA...but I dont like when my beer is too bitter.

__________________
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,219
Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Default

No one can answer that for you. What's "too hoppy to drink" for you may be nothing to me at all. I know people who love malty beers that don't like beer if they can taste any hops in it at all!

I would change up your hopping a bit, making it easier instead of weird amounts like .7 ounces/ .38 ounces at so many different times. For an IPA, a .3 ounce addition is a "don't bother" amount.

An ounce at 60/20/10/5/0 is much easier, and would give the same type of results. I would change the dryhopping, as you have too many varieties (again, some weird amounts) and may cause muddled flavors instead of nice hops aroma.

Like this:
Bittering hops 60 minutes (about 30-35 IBUs with this addition alone, but since you don't like bitterness, you could cut that down to get 20 IBUs from this addition. The beer will not taste balanced very well, though)
1 ounce hops 20 minutes
1 ounce hops 10 minutes
1 ounce hops 5 minutes
1 ounce hops 0 minutes
dryhop 2 ounces 5-7 days.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Last edited by Yooper; 07-25-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Edited to add note about lowering the bittering hops IBUs
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Jtbrown54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Posts: 62
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default

"Too much" is subjective.

However, I'd pick one or two dry hopping varieties max (personal opinion) too many muddy the waters and might give you too much of a grassy aroma instead of citrus, or pine trees, or whatever you're going for.

__________________
Jtbrown54 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,039
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtbrown54 View Post
"Too much" is subjective.

However, I'd pick one or two dry hopping varieties max (personal opinion) too many muddy the waters and might give you too much of a grassy aroma instead of citrus, or pine trees, or whatever you're going for.
This is one thing that concerns me....the balance. I dont know these hops...I am learning about them...reading stuff online.

I am actually going for a nice fruity, citrusy flavour and aroma. Do you think you could tell me if they are okay for that purpose?

I think I'll change the hopping times/amount to what Yooper suggested.
__________________
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,039
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
No one can answer that for you. What's "too hoppy to drink" for you may be nothing to me at all. I know people who love malty beers that don't like beer if they can taste any hops in it at all!

I would change up your hopping a bit, making it easier instead of weird amounts like .7 ounces/ .38 ounces at so many different times. For an IPA, a .3 ounce addition is a "don't bother" amount.

An ounce at 60/20/10/5/0 is much easier, and would give the same type of results. I would change the dryhopping, as you have too many varieties (again, some weird amounts) and may cause muddled flavors instead of nice hops aroma.

Like this:
Bittering hops 60 minutes (about 30-35 IBUs with this addition alone, but since you don't like bitterness, you could cut that down to get 20 IBUs from this addition. The beer will not taste balanced very well, though)
1 ounce hops 20 minutes
1 ounce hops 10 minutes
1 ounce hops 5 minutes
1 ounce hops 0 minutes
dryhop 2 ounces 5-7 days.
I think I can push it up to 45 IBU. That's what brewdog punk IPA has and that bitterness is still kinda pleasant for me. I dont like bitterness that is mad in IIPAs...and some really strong IPAs....bitterness such as 60-65 IBU.

By the way....could you do me a favour and also tell me if I should use bittering hops as normal and then the flavour/aroma hops should be 25% each of the 1oz you suggested? Meaning that citra, chinook, cascade, amarillo....25% each at the different times....thus getting to 1 oz at 20,10,5,0 minutes. Do you think that would help me achieve a nice, fruity and citrusy IPA? Or maybe you meant that I should use 1 oz of a specific hop at 20,10,5,0 minutes.
__________________
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,219
Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I think I can push it up to 45 IBU. That's what brewdog punk IPA has and that bitterness is still kinda pleasant for me. I dont like bitterness that is mad in IIPAs...and some really strong IPAs....bitterness such as 60-65 IBU.

By the way....could you do me a favour and also tell me if I should use bittering hops as normal and then the flavour/aroma hops should be 25% each of the 1oz you suggested? Meaning that citra, chinook, cascade, amarillo....25% each at the different times....thus getting to 1 oz at 20,10,5,0 minutes. Do you think that would help me achieve a nice, fruity and citrusy IPA? Or maybe you meant that I should use 1 oz of a specific hop at 20,10,5,0 minutes.

It really depends on your tastes. I don't like citra, and I find chinook great but harsh, so I'd probably go mostly with cascade/amarillo, where someone else might love citra and change that a bit. I'd probably use 1 ounce of chinook at 20 minutes, 1 oz amarillo at 10 minutes, and 1 oz cascade at 0 minutes then .5 ounce of each at flame out. Something like that.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 1,039
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It really depends on your tastes. I don't like citra, and I find chinook great but harsh, so I'd probably go mostly with cascade/amarillo, where someone else might love citra and change that a bit. I'd probably use 1 ounce of chinook at 20 minutes, 1 oz amarillo at 10 minutes, and 1 oz cascade at 0 minutes then .5 ounce of each at flame out. Something like that.
Thanks for the constructive comments.

Dont you live Citra...because of its fruity, mango character?

By the way....and what would you use for dry-hopping?
__________________
Elysium is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,756
Liked 657 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Default

I keep going around and around with this. I thought I had it all figured out until my initial IPA turned out like total butt. I have toyed with the idea of doing drastic things with my hop schedule, but have decided to try it one more time, with much better processes (the failed IPA was my second brew) and a more traditional hop schedule. Here's what I'm doing:

11 lbs. 2-Row
1 lb. Vienna
.75 lb. Crystal 60L
.50 lb. Para-Pils

.50 oz Amarillo (9.3% AA) - 60 minutes
.50 oz Amarillo - 25 minutes
.50 oz Centennial (10.3% AA) - 25 minutes
1.0 oz Centennial - 10 minutes
.50 oz Amarillo - Flameout
1.0 oz Centennial - Flameout
.50 oz Amarillo - Dry hop 5 days
.50 oz Centennial - Dry hop 5 days

I may add another oz of something to dry hop. Too much variety to throw an oz of Simco in there at dry hop?

Yeast = Safale US-05

__________________
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
uatuba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 456
Liked 52 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

That question was posed as a challenge years ago, and thus the first IPA was born.

__________________
uatuba is offline
Ridire Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Ridire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
Ridire's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 2,756
Liked 657 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uatuba View Post
That question was posed as a challenge years ago, and thus the first IPA was born.
...brewed by Chuck Norris, no doubt.
__________________
Ridire is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steeping grains: Is it possible to overdo the quantity? brewpood Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 16 05-30-2013 01:35 PM
What Did I Overdo? rodwha Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 05-21-2013 02:01 AM
Did i overdo it??? mouthfullofbeer Bottling/Kegging 4 01-27-2013 09:21 PM
Dry Hop Mania - Did I overdo it? calimainer General Techniques 3 12-10-2012 07:42 PM
Hopping Brew stuartm Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 07-25-2008 09:17 PM