Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can a cooler be too big for MLT use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
blackdragon82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can a cooler be too big for MLT use?

I was on craiglist looking around and found this:

150qt Cooler

I emailed, and was told it has a spout, was only used a couple of times last summer for a party cooler at the house, and is not a cheap styrofoam fake (I've seen ones that size at the Jersey shore so I wanted to check)

Currently I use a 5 gallon igloo but really want to upgrade because I like making bigger beers and was looking for a 10gal but then I stumbled on this bad boy. First thought was 37.5 Gallons!!!!

But later I started to think about how large this thing is and wondered if it was too large? I have everything for a 5 gallon brew session now, but am slowly trying to upgrade to 10 gallon. I'm finishing college this December so fundage is limited until then.

I am driving there on Sunday to check on how it looks. So please any and all comments are appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would assume it could be too large for smaller 5gallon and maybe 10gallon batches due to how spread out the grain bed would be and lower levels of water. Just my thoughts. But a portable keg cooler this will make.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I beleive it depends on if you are fly/batch sparging, but either way I would be worried with making a regular (1050 gravity) beer in that guy that it would barely cover the bottom, but you could always keep your 5 gallon for those. I have a 52 quart coleman xtreme and my biggest beer was an IPA at 1068, at 1.25 qt/lb I think it filled my cooler up halfway. Another thing to think about is all that extra space, it will make it harder to maintain temp. If you want a bigger cooler with 10 gallon possibilities you can check kmart for the 52qt I got, or walmart has a 70qt here: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70...Cooler/4807332

Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
blackdragon82
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I apologize I didn't think to add that I batch sparge. Yeah if I was making some massive batches this cooler would be great, but brettwasbtd you nailed exactly what I was thinking! The larger area of empty air will make the temps harder to control. Yeah for my larger 5 gallon batches I would prob be using 10-12 gallons. That would only fill at most 1/4 of this bad boy.

Thanks for the link for that 70qt. I may head to the local walmart this weekend. I am just looking for something with a spout already. I know its a simple job with a drill but I would rather be lazy about it

Seems since I do not have the ability to boil a 10gal batch right now this does not seem viable.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Usually, it is recommended that you have a minimum of a 4 inch grain bed depth. I would be worried this would be too big to accomodate a 5 gallon batch. You might try to find a rough estimate of the volume that a pound of grain takes up. Then calculate how many pounds of grain it would take to make a 4 inch depth based on the dimensions of the cooler. That would give you an idea of how small of a batch the cooler can accomodate.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon82 View Post
Thanks for the link for that 70qt. I may head to the local walmart this weekend. I am just looking for something with a spout already. I know its a simple job with a drill but I would rather be lazy about it
Check that they carry that in store! I went to about 3 different walmarts and NONE had that cooler, so if you want it, I'd have it shipped to the store. I found my 52 qt for $25 at Kmart!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
blackdragon82
Recipes 

brettwastd I did and 4 stores within an hour of me have it. So that may be my new possibility. I wish I could get something of this size and brew batches large enough to use 150qt to its potential but now it just seems like dreaming. Until I get the supplies to brew the larger batches it is kind of pointless.

A 52qt for $25? Yes please

Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #8
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Ya, and i got it in Delaware - No Tax!

If you got the 150qt you could make 1 bbl batches! A little nano brewery action there!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
blackdragon82
Recipes 

Oh yeah forgot Delaware My GF lives in West Chester so not too far of a drive

I would love to be a nano brewery status, BUT I only have a little 10gal pot.

Luckily I got a damn nice internship making more then I ever have before. I am thinking of buying a keggle in the next couple weeks. I want to take this one step at a time. Basically get a something new each paycheck.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
brettwasbtd

Recipes 

Ya, I was/am spending too much on this hobby I am limiting myself to one new item a month. Also, If you can't get the keggle for under $100, look into aluminum pots. I got a 15 gallon pot for $88 shipped from instawares. Think is great and fits on burner nicely

Quick Reply