Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Can anyone tell me why Safale S0-4 has a rather strong smell and taste in my brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Can anyone tell me why Safale S0-4 has a rather strong smell and taste in my brew?

We have brewed a few batches with Safale S0-4 and all of them has this interesting slight smell/taste in the beer. Nothing unpleasant....but we are not into it at all.

Basically....after the siphoning....we smell the yeast cake that is left over in the fermenter, and we can conclude that that is the smell/flavour our beers have. Why is this? Is this normal?

The problem is that it is not something I have ever tasted in a beer, but it is not too strong...so I doubt it can be an infection or something. My friend keeps telling me that it has the smell/aroma of a wheat beer (weissbier). I kinda agree with him.

A little bit of info on my fermenation:
MO single malt, using ideal temperature between 15-20 C (59-68F). I am using a plastic fermenter. My beers are simple....English ales.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1104 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 1229

It could be esters that you are not fond of, but it is hard to say without experiencing first hand. What is your fermenting temperature and how long does the beer stay in the primary?

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 07-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 254

how would you describe this smell? does it smell like anything else we might recognize?

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Malric
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Have you tried s-05?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinHooligan View Post
It could be esters that you are not fond of, but it is hard to say without experiencing first hand. What is your fermenting temperature and how long does the beer stay in the primary?
MO single malt, using ideal temperature between 15-20 C (59-68F). I am using a plastic fermenter. My beers are simple....English ales.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malric View Post
Have you tried s-05?
Next batch is going to be with S-05. I have already bought a sachet of that yeast. I am more into the American IPAs ...than the English style ales.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
how would you describe this smell? does it smell like anything else we might recognize?
it is hard to tell. The problem is that it is not something I have ever tasted in a beer, but it is not too strong...so I doubt it can be an infection or something. My friend keeps telling me that it has the slightly fruity smell/aroma of a wheat beer (weissbier). I kinda agree with him.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
SixStrings
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Sounds like esters; they're what give that fruity/banana smell in wheat beers. English strains tend to give off more of that character during fermentation, and ime S-04 tends to get quite fruity, especially during warmer fermentation.

If it's esters, I also think you'll prefer the S-05 more.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Veronis
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

It's definitely the esters (the stuff that adds "fruitiness" to beers) that are produced by the S-04 yeast during fermentation, based on the yeast and what you described. S-04 doesn't ferment as clean as S-05, and is generally more widely used in wheat beers/belgians, because of the esters it produces. If it ferments too warm (72ish+), it can impart a fruity/banana aroma and flavor that won't really settle out for months. But regardless of fermentation temps, it has more "fruity" flavors/aroma than S-05.

If you're making ales that aren't wheat/belgian/fruity, etc. you would probably be happier with S-05's results.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
DrVertebrae
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I really like the SA-04. The smell is nice. It might be esters or a bit of sulfur, I'm not sure but I find the beers brewed with 04 to be more flavorful. I have also found that if fermented at too high a temp, then the banana smell is present but with longer aging it too, disappears.

I use the 05 also if I want more complete attenuation and higher ABV or to let the hops stand out more. The 04 to me is much better at allowing the malt flavors to come forth.

Its all a matter of taste though. So Try the 05 or try the WL001, I think, for a cleaner less"smelly" brew. Nottingham works in that regard also, at least from my experience, which is oh, so slight.

Quick Reply