The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Camping with Homebrew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
carnevoodoo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore_Trout View Post
If you properly clean them you shouldn't have issues, as with any other bottle.
Well, that's not necessarily true. I don't know what the permeability of soda bottles is off the top of my head, but they're not made to be reusable containers. I'm guessing if it is consumed in a day or two there's no big deal, but I still wouldn't put my beer in them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #12
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
Well, that's not necessarily true. I don't know what the permeability of soda bottles is off the top of my head, but they're not made to be reusable containers. I'm guessing if it is consumed in a day or two there's no big deal, but I still wouldn't put my beer in them.
I have had wine, beer, and soda in these bottles with no effects from the previous batch. I wash them thoroughly with soapy water, rinse in hot tap water, then soak in a bleach solution to remove any stray scents.

Has worked so far. Some have been reused at least 8 times(with pressure).

But to each his own. I just threw that idea out because it has worked for me. A portable kegging system would be sweet but the soda bottle idea fits my current grad school budget. I would rather shift my $$ to ingredients than equipment right now.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

There is also the mini-keg setup (though I don't recommend it if you don't already minikeg).
** Click a picture to see a larger version **
Here it is travel ready.

Here it is assembled and ready to pour.

Inside. Note there is only water in the lines right now to check for gas and liquid leaks.

Force carbing can be done by using my co2 tank (actually a paintball tank).

It works great as pictured, though I actually have modifications/improvements I intend to do to it.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #14
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice work Baron! Love the perlicks with the Micromatic tap handles! Just keep drunks away from pulling the cartridge trigger though.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #15
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
I have had wine, beer, and soda in these bottles with no effects from the previous batch. I wash them thoroughly with soapy water, rinse in hot tap water, then soak in a bleach solution to remove any stray scents.
I use the plastic bottle/carb cap combo all the time, to me it's the perfect way to bring previously kegged beer to a camping trip or other destination. A quick washing with dish soap and a thorough rinse is all that's necessary, and the bottles retain absolutely no scent or flavor. So long as the bottle smells clean, and not like the previous contents, your beer is perfectly safe. I slip a short piece of tubing over the faucet and into the bottle, to minimize foaming.

My favorites are from some kind of vitamin water my girlfriend tried last year...I can't recall the brand. The plastic is substantially thicker than typical soda bottles, so they're quite durable and have no trouble standing up to high pressure shots of Co2. I've refilled these two bottles dozens of times.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #16
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Never had a problem with residual sugars or whatever from Soda bottles. now I don't keep beer long term for that. I fill the bottle from the keg, hit it with CO2,. Then it is typically consumed within a few days.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Beer Please
Recipes 

We can bring glass in so the growlers won't be an issue. The place we camp is in SE Wisconsin and it will be at the end of October so the temps will be fairly cool.

EdWort I really like your portable system, just need to find some more money.
This newly found Hobby is sucking me dry. Whooohooo!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #18
RLinNH

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I also Keg. I simply Bring along a 5 Gallon Round Home Deap Throat Cooler, and I place my 5 gallon Keg into the Cooler. Fill with ice and water, cover with Blanky during warmer days, drink cold beer.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 AM   #19
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
I'm guessing permeability isn't too much of a concern. I bet room temp carbonated soda can stay on a grocery store shelf for a while without losing much carbonation. As for oxidation if the bottle is in fact permeable, if the pressure inside of the bottle is many times greater than the atmospheric pressure outside, shouldn't CO2 leak out rather than O2 leak in? Gasses don't generally travel up a pressure gradient.

Back to the topic, I also use 2 liter soda bottles (or 1 liter or 3 liter) to transport my brew. You can make a DIY carbonator cap (out of pretty much any cap for any size/shape bottle) for about 5 dollars.

Last edited by JoMarky; 09-17-2008 at 04:04 AM.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #20
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Depends on how much you are drinking. If alot, cornie. But if not, use the 3 litre soda bottles. Here is a link where you can hookup a bike CO2 to them to keep them from going flat. Just keep them in a dark place till ready to drink.

Cheap 3 Liter Kegs

Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Quick Reply