Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > calories in homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHaven View Post
Hey I'm also on the paleo! I cut out all grains and gluten, except for beer. Glad to see someone else in the same boat. PM if you ever want to discuss paleo!
I thought of you a couple of weeks ago when we drove through Nacogadoches! I didn't know you were doing paleo also. I'm not really doing the strict full-on paleo, though. At first, I thought it was nuts because it goes against everything we've been taught about low fat, high complex carb eating.

Bob is the one who's gotten me into paleo a bit. We read a ton of research papers and actually took blood sugar readings to see the effect of complex carbs on our bodies. I was shocked!

Once we gave up those carbs that all the diet gurus tell you are good, Bob's blood pressure dropped like a rock to low normal, he lost his "wheat belly" (although he's naturally slim), and our cholesterol levels dropped unbelievably. He's almost 57 and on no medications and is fitter than ever.

I've always been inclined to gain weight (I blame my Polish/German ancestors) and struggled to stay slim by exercising and cutting calories. It was not easy!

I used to always believe the calorie deficit dogma, and really did low fat eating and exercising, and still struggled. I played hockey, walked, went to the gym, kayaked, ate 1200 calories a day, and still didn't get the results I wanted.

Now, I eat tons of protein and vegetables and probably eat 2500 calories or more per day and I'm slim and lean. Getting rid of trans fats, sugar, wheat, grains, and other junk totally changed my body even though I still drink too much beer.

It's not true that "a calorie is a calorie". Do the research for yourself. I didn't believe it and I spent the last 18 months researching, reading, learning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Since I started with a "mostly paleo" diet but included beer
'Mostly paleo' is the diet of choice if you ask me. You cut out sugar, wheat, flour, and all the other crap that is processed, and not good for you. I personally don't believe in strict paleo diets because we don't live in flipping 10,000 BC.

So for that reason I cook with olive oil, not coconut oil, and many of the other stupid rules people follow to be strict paleo. All in all it's a good diet though: eat meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and fruit. For the most part, if it doesn't come in a box or bag, it's probably good for me.

As for calories in home brew, there's a lot. Make healthy decisions elsewhere in your life, and the beer won't make a difference. For me that's Crossfit, and eating healthy.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

What is important?

Drink the beer.

Eat less.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
McHaven
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I thought of you a couple of weeks ago when we drove through Nacogadoches! I didn't know you were doing paleo also. I'm not really doing the strict full-on paleo, though. At first, I thought it was nuts because it goes against everything we've been taught about low fat, high complex carb eating.

Bob is the one who's gotten me into paleo a bit. We read a ton of research papers and actually took blood sugar readings to see the effect of complex carbs on our bodies. I was shocked!

Once we gave up those carbs that all the diet gurus tell you are good, Bob's blood pressure dropped like a rock to low normal, he lost his "wheat belly" (although he's naturally slim), and our cholesterol levels dropped unbelievably. He's almost 57 and on no medications and is fitter than ever.

I've always been inclined to gain weight (I blame my Polish/German ancestors) and struggled to stay slim by exercising and cutting calories. It was not easy!

I used to always believe the calorie deficit dogma, and really did low fat eating and exercising, and still struggled. I played hockey, walked, went to the gym, kayaked, ate 1200 calories a day, and still didn't get the results I wanted.

Now, I eat tons of protein and vegetables and probably eat 2500 calories or more per day and I'm slim and lean. Getting rid of trans fats, sugar, wheat, grains, and other junk totally changed my body even though I still drink too much beer.

It's not true that "a calorie is a calorie". Do the research for yourself. I didn't believe it and I spent the last 18 months researching, reading, learning.
It has some awesome results, just from cutting out processed junk and grain. My "wheat belly" has also shrunk, although not as much as I'd like, but it'll take more time. I'm also full longer, without getting terribly hungry between meals. My energy level is stable through the day and I wake up ready to go every morning.

My in-laws did the paleo diet before my wife and I. They're in their late fifties/early sixties and they've both lost over 25 pounds in 4 months. I figure if its done that much good for them at their age, it must be able to do something good for me in my twenties.

Its not even a restrictive diet, if you don't go hardcore. It just seems so right, too. I eat meat, fruit and veggies. How could it NOT be good for me?

Primary: Pumpkin Ale, Spiced Holiday Ale, Cider
Secondary: Empty
Bottles: Cream Ale, Dubbel, Black Ale

Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHaven View Post
It has some awesome results, just from cutting out processed junk and grain. My "wheat belly" has also shrunk, although not as much as I'd like, but it'll take more time. I'm also full longer, without getting terribly hungry between meals. My energy level is stable through the day and I wake up ready to go every morning.

My in-laws did the paleo diet before my wife and I. They're in their late fifties/early sixties and they've both lost over 25 pounds in 4 months. I figure if its done that much good for them at their age, it must be able to do something good for me in my twenties.

Its not even a restrictive diet, if you don't go hardcore. It just seems so right, too. I eat meat, fruit and veggies. How could it NOT be good for me?
We had given up processed foods a long time ago, but didn't realize the impact grains had. We had been listening to advice like The Food Pyramid, and were trying to eat MORE complex carbs, not less! Once we gave up the whole wheat, other grains, and all sugar, we both felt like a million bucks and now Bob struggles to keep the weight ON! He's in the 150 range, but he often drops lower if he doesn't eat more.

It's not about weight loss for us- well, not really. But since we are super healthy, on NO medications, look great and feel even better, with tons of energy that most 30-year-olds don't have, I'm a big fan! I'm about a size 4, while my 22 year old daughter struggles with her weight and is about twice my size. I'm super fit and active and healthy, and eat a TON of food every day!

Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #16
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 67

It all goes back to adopting a healthy lifestyle. A diet is always going to fail long term.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Quick Reply