Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > calories in homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
thisgoestoeleven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default calories in homebrew?

My girlfriend and I are both rather *ahem* enthusiastic beer drinkers. We've also both gained about 30 pounds each these past 2 years since we both got into beer. The two may or may not be related

We're both dieting, counting calories, and working out, as well as cutting back on beer. We're only really drinking beer every few days now, and only one or two in an evening (depending on our respective calorie counts for the day). I'm curious about figuring out the caloric content of homebrew recipes. I'm assuming it's based on the alcohol content, but I'm not sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Most brewing software lists the calories in our recipes...I try not to look.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 853 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 315

When I make up a recipe on Hopville.com it lists the calories per 12 oz serving. Here's an example recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1066896/a...citra-pale-ale

Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I count calories but I don't count it to the single calorie. The rule of thumb I use, regardless of whether it's homebrew or commercial is 175-225 calories. Of course the actual numbers depend on alcohol content.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
neovox

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I agree with what Revvy said. I use Beersmith and I too try not to look. Generally speaking homebrew is about 175-240 cal. with the lower end being 5% and the higher end being 7% per 12oz.

I've been watching calories too. Wanting a few brews is definitely inspiration for more time on the elliptical trainer. Funny thing is SWMBO started out drinking Mich Ultra, developed a taste for Porter, and now loves IPA. She's contemplating a regression in an attempt to watch the calories. For me there is no such compromise. *shrug*

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 307 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think the calories are based on the OG rather than the gravity. So a sweeter 5% beer might have more calories than a 7% Belgian. ...... There is another good reason to drink big Belgians.

Note: a 12% barleywine may be up around 400 calories for 12 ozs.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4935 Times on 3577 Posts
Likes Given: 994

I don't count calories and I didn't reduce my beer intake.

About 18 months ago I changed up my eating habits and I have no problem staying at 135 pounds now. I used to be on a low-fat eating regimen, but I totally changed that and I gave up all sugar and wheat- it's not easy for everybody but it works for me. I was always fit, but found my weight wanting to creep up when I got older. Since I started with a "mostly paleo" diet but included beer, I'm pretty lean and can drink as much beer as I want (about 5-6 per day). I'm pretty small. And I'm "older", so I have to really watch it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The calculators or not perfect. Yeast use up calories in the growth phase so lower pitch rates and/or higher oxygenation levels will result in lower ABV and calories.

I can't gain weight regardless of what I consume. I've been around 150 for 25 years now. My wife has to watch her self. I try to have lower calorie beers around for her but she gravitates to the stronger ones anyway. Those 250 calorie beers can really add up.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
McHaven
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I don't count calories and I didn't reduce my beer intake.

About 18 months ago I changed up my eating habits and I have no problem staying at 135 pounds now. I used to be on a low-fat eating regimen, but I totally changed that and I gave up all sugar and wheat- it's not easy for everybody but it works for me. I was always fit, but found my weight wanting to creep up when I got older. Since I started with a "mostly paleo" diet but included beer, I'm pretty lean and can drink as much beer as I want (about 5-6 per day). I'm pretty small. And I'm "older", so I have to really watch it.
Hey I'm also on the paleo! I cut out all grains and gluten, except for beer. Glad to see someone else in the same boat. PM if you ever want to discuss paleo!

Primary: Pumpkin Ale, Spiced Holiday Ale, Cider
Secondary: Empty
Bottles: Cream Ale, Dubbel, Black Ale

Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
pd230soi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know you folks all know this but its all about the caloric deficit. If you want to lose weight you need to be in a deficit state at the end or the day/week/month. Also you calories you eat/drink need to be good ones. Just make sure you dont go too low (for your body) or your body goes into starvation mode and you have more trouble. Aim for two pounds of loss per week.

3500 calories equals one pound of fat (roughly). So by the end a week be at a deficit of 7,000 calories.

I got fat after two injuries and at the same time getting better at brewing...

So i'm now slowly dumping it back off. Not much beer for me right now so my pipeline is growing!

Quick Reply