Call me an a$$ but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_the_goods

Reaction score
Ok, so my first two batches were an Irish Stout and an IIPA. I loved both of them and everyone I bestowed them upon liked them as well. My beloved brother is however not an appreciator of beer, he'll try one simply because I brewed it but he does not really enjoy the flavor, he just drinks to get drunk. Knowing he doesn't enjoy the flavor I gave him the Stout as the flavor was way more mild than my IIPA, after he took his first sip he said "It tastes all right, still tastes like beer to me"
and then proceeded to pour some salt in it. :eek:

After he drank the Stout he wanted me to give him one of my IIPA's. This is where I may be called an a$$.

Let me try one of your other ones.
No, I don't think so!
Why?
Because you won't like it.
I still want to try it.
Why would I waste one of my favorite beers on someone who won't appreciate it? Besides that, you'll just ruin it with salt!
Well that's how I drink my beer!
Not if I don't give you one it isn't.
F*ck off and just give me one.
Nope! I like to share my beer with those who like it, not ruin it.

I'm not stingy, just selective with who gets the pleasure of having one. Does that make me an a$$? How many here would have done the same or just let him try it?

Why the hell would you put salt in your beer? I've never heard of that.

Give him a taste out of one you pour! Doesn't have to have a whole bottle to try it. And even if you gave him a whole batch.....Um he's your brother and it's one freaking batch!

I've heard of the salt in BMC before. Never tried, don't plan to.

Give him a beer. So what if he adulterates it with salt to make it palateable to him.

I think as long as he drinks the whole serving that would be less offensive than someone who takes a slurp, tells you it's good, and then leaves the glass sitting the rest of the night or worse, dumps it to get a Macro.

He is apprently genuinely interested in trying and don't forget, we all tooks step to fully appreciate the wide array of flavors avilable from well crafted beer.

Give him a taste out of one you pour! Doesn't have to have a whole bottle to try it. And even if you gave him a whole batch.....Um he's your brother and it's one freaking batch!

I've heard of the salt in BMC before. Never tried, don't plan to.

The thing with that is, I gave him a sip of my Stone IPA about three weeks before that and wanted me to put salt in it and give him the rest. The look on his face when he drinks a good beer reminds me of a 14 yr old trying to look like he likes the taste of his first Bud, lol :drunk:. So I already knew my IIPA would be too much for his tongue to handle. :cross:

I say give it too him, but suggest he try it without salt first.

Salt is put in macro's by many especially older people. It brings the CO2 out of solution to make them easier to drink and accentuates the malty tones. This technique comes from people who aren't really into beer for the dynamic flavors it offers. More of a good 'ol boys thing.

Give him a beer, he sounds genuinely interested.

If he is continuing to ask for these beers, he probably WANTS to like them but does not yet have the palate developed. Keep feeding them anytime he asks and you may be culturing your next best beer drinking buddy.

I'd say that's an ass move. The man wants a beer...hook him up. I could understand if you were low, or if it was just some d-bag, but it sounds like you have plenty and he is your brother.

homebrew is for sharing. A$$hole brothers are for punching. See if you can cleverly combine the two.

Ha ha, this is hilarious. I have a brother who drank a barley wine of mine and said "This is what a f*cking beer should be". Then he drank a pale ale and called me a ***** for making it. I wanted to smack the glass into his face on his next sip.

Give your bro beer when he asks. Wait till you're both drunk and pay him back for putting salt in it. Then laugh about it the next morning.

Cheers.

Roman

I s'pose I shouldn't be so hard on him. I think my biggest problem was that it is my favorite, and it was my first, and there was only a 6'er left. I have now seen the errors of my ways, I feel a conversion coming soon.

Having people in your life that have different tastes in beer is a good reason to expand the types of beers you brew also. Try brewing something that you think he will like and you will become an even better brewer in the process, and he will appreciate that you did it for him.

Meh brothers can be a PITA... I mean before I would let anyone try mine... But still the whole salt in the beer thing is a little weird... I mean i still yell at my brother for frosting his mugs... Not chilling... Frosting... I told him to never do that with any of my beers or I would not serve them to him...

Salt I might be able to take... But if someone were to request a Frosted mug... I would go tell em' to F* Off and drink out of a regular glass.

Having people in your life that have different tastes in beer is a good reason to expand the types of beers you brew also. Try brewing something that you think he will like and you will become an even better brewer in the process, and he will appreciate that you did it for him.

I disagree with this in a way... When you are starting out you brew and cater to what you like first always... If other people like it too, thats a bonus. Later on in your brewing career you can start brewing with other people in mind. Its your $$ and time and effort... Brew how you want.

my brother camped out out on my first batch, b@stard and 2 of my friends floated a keg in less than 24 hours. it hadnt even conditioned properly yet.

i did help put a dent on it, and brother also helped brew it up so i didnt kick his @ss.

I disagree with this in a way... When you are starting out you brew and cater to what you like first always... If other people like it too, thats a bonus. Later on in your brewing career you can start brewing with other people in mind. Its your $$ and time and effort... Brew how you want.

True, but here's an example. You get married, your wife lets you build a 6 keg keezer and only likes one style of beer that I don't care for. I hope you would do the right thing in this situation.

ive got a buddy that does way worse he puts that lime flavored tang salt in my homebrew. but hes a cool guy i just recently brewed him a really light ale(i dont lager yet) so that he would feel like he was doing good with his tang. as far as salt in your beer i do it every time i go to mexico on the beach there is nothing better than a modelo in a can with some salt and chayanne pepper in the rim

In most cases I would say give him the beer and let him drink it how he pleases. WTF is anyone to tell another person how to drink their beer? I know a girl that won't drink beer unless it's room temperature...so let her drink it the way she likes it. I always suggest a good, chilled beer glass but let people drink their beer (and once I give it to them it's their beer) however they like.

Now, in the case of you being down to the last 6er of your favorite beer...in that case, that beer is no longer available imo. So imo it's perfectly OK to say "Sorry but I don't have any more of that I can give away, those are Private Stock."

Some people add salt to kick up the head.

+1 give the man a beer... Some people like boaring bland pisswater, doesn't mean they don't deserve an ocasional homebrew.

My brother loves his Milwaukee's Beast, but i can't deny him a homebrew. If it were not family, I'd tell them to piss off..

what was the problem?
thats kinda the point I thought, unless i'm doing it wrong.
need more research maybe.

i drink to get sh#tfaced myself

Well if you drink to get drunk or sh#tfaced there are faster ways than beer. I drink beer because I like it not to get hammered . If I want to get hammered its Vodka from the freezer in repetitive shots. I really can't even fathom getting hammered from say a 15% Barleywine I would be so bloated by the 2nd or 3rd one I would stop drinking. I do like a slight beer buzz

back on topic give him a beer and after a few just start giving him Miller chill

as a joke in college we'd put salt in someones beer when they were not looking... sometimes they'd make a face and go something is wrong with my beer it is odd... and we'd all laugh... been on both sides of the joke. never heard of purposely doing it to improve beer though.

Guess it is like the lime in beer thing, had a friend who limed Heineken because it "reduced the salty taste of Heineken" (according to him, still can't detect salt taste in it, but whatever)... When i was just in Mexico on vacation i resisted the lime they stuck in everything, but one day i did lime my coronas, wasn't bad but i generally don't get adding it.

Have a friend that likes wheat/hefe/weiss style beers that puts full quarter oranges into them, it doesn't matter if it is German style, American style, Belgian style or blue moon (not sure what style that is, just fake i guess)... kinda sweet to me but it doesn't taste bad...

If it wasn't your brother you'd be in A$$ territory, but with siblings it is hard to say, you know him better than us. I'd say let him try it, if he spits it out or won't finish it then you know to never let him try again, or he knows to not bother asking...

Even us homebrewers have our preferred ways of drinking. I see people posting here about keeping frosted mugs and chilled glasses around for their brews. I think this is almost as bad the the salt gig. To me drinking homebrew and any beer other than BMC really is about NOT shocking your taste buds with cold beer, thus not allowing them to taste. To each there own.

last sixer, Tell him to step back! Salt or No Salt.

I put salt in Yuengling. For some reason I find it boring and very crappy for a lager. Problem is everyone else likes it.......

I would take a Sam Adams anyday over it for a mass served beer! :mug:

Whenever a new person tries one of my beers, I hand them a pint glass with 1/2 inch of beer in to taste. I tell them, it's OK if they don't like it, but if they want more, they have to ask. Works every time.

Whenever a new person tries one of my beers, I hand them a pint glass with 1/2 inch of beer in to taste. I tell them, it's OK if they don't like it, but if they want more, they have to ask. Works every time.
I want more.:D

Guess it is like the lime in beer thing, had a friend who limed Heineken because it "reduced the salty taste of Heineken" (according to him, still can't detect salt taste in it, but whatever)... When i was just in Mexico on vacation i resisted the lime they stuck in everything, but one day i did lime my coronas, wasn't bad but i generally don't get adding it.
I always thought it was a skunky beer thing. Heiny and Corona are both extremely skunky (every one I've tasted that is) so the lime-connection seemed to make sense.

If you had a full batch then yeah you might be an a$$hole but if you only have a 6er left.... thats all yours and you do what you want with it.

I always share with everyone who wants to try and those who don't like it (Usually natural light drinkers) get told that this is what real beer is supposed to taste like and they go back to drinking their skunk water.

OK. I'll dissent among most of the posters. Pour him about a good swallow in a glass and let him taste it. If he has any kind of negative reaction at all, don't give him anymore of the IPA.

If I'm down to my last 2 beers and it's one of my favorites (or it could be my last 20) and someone wants one that I know will enjoy it, I happily hand them one. On the other hand if I know they just want a buzz and won't really like the beer, forget it. Not gonna happen with one of my favorties. I'll go to the store and buy them something else before they get one that is near and dear to my heart that they won't really like.

There is joy in that bottle, and it is reserved for those who would partake in the joy. If it is someone who has never tried it and has no bias, they are welcome to it as well. Just not someone I know won't appreciate it. Just my .02

My brother does not like beer. He would not ask for one. He did however borrow $3K from me recently. I would have rather given him a beer with salt - consider yourself lucky and pour the dude a beer.

get him stupid drunk on Apfelwein!
if he thinks it is too strong mix it 50 50 with fresh juice,
I use that for people that whine about my brews
several of then had a hard time getting out of bed the next day !

-Jason

Hmm, he asked you for a beer and you said no...

you're giving the rest of us a bad name.

I haven't been around the HBing stuff for very long but I think you are wrong Arturo. If all this guy wants is something with alcohol in it, send him to the drug store for some Ni-Quil.

Why should he give up one of his hand crafted beers, something he worked hard on to brew and bottle, to somebody who not only wont like it but polutes it with salt like some white trash idiot.

You are not an A$$ at all Brewin your bother is. Got one just like him. It's like spending time making somebody a nice piece of furniture out of cherry and they turn around and paint it. Again I am reminded of the words from the Almighty Ron White: "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!!!!" Never has a truer word been spoken!!!!!

Tell him to bring his own MGD 64 if he wants beer in your house next time. the good stuff is for the company you actually want around.

Back