The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Cacoa nibs soaked in Vodka issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
SixStringBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooshimanx View Post
4 oz. is less than three shots of vodka and regardless of how cheap the vodka is, vodka by definition is flavorless, whereas bourbon and whiskies have a moderately strong flavor. Moreover, the original poster stated just above that he decanted the vodka before adding the nibs.
Someone else mentioned decanting their nibs and vodka, not OP. And yes, vodka is SUPPOSED to be a neutral spirit, but in reality that isn't always the case. Cheap vodka is frequently absolutely horrid with a strong, unpleasant taste. The fusels in poorly made vodkas in particular are definitely a sharp enough flavour to cut through a beer, even in small quantities. Again, there's a reason why when people make beers with whiskey/rum/whatever else the advice is always to use good stuff, not unpleasant swill. Cheaply made spirits with a strong fusel character can cause unpleasant off flavours.

And 4oz should be exactly 4 shots (sorry, I feel like nitpicking this), no? I know most shot glasses (at least in the bars I've worked in) are now made to be 7/8ths of an ounce because short pouring makes bars money, but that just works out to be ~4.5 shots. Maybe American shot glasses are larger than Canadian shot glasses?

I have a website! Check it out as I slowly but surely work on going pro.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 20

4 oz of Vodka can affect the nose & flavor IMHO. To check for yourself, just put the equivalent (in drops) in your next glass of beer and you'll definitely smell it.

I would never ever put 4 oz of vodka in 5 gal of beer. Better off just tossing the nibs in, or use cocoa powder, or pasteurize the nibs in water at 180F, or etc...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
techprof
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't decant, just dumped it all into the secondary.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by techprof View Post
I didn't decant, just dumped it all into the secondary.
Ah, I think I confused you with the guy that said he did. My mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringBeer View Post
Someone else mentioned decanting their nibs and vodka, not OP. And yes, vodka is SUPPOSED to be a neutral spirit, but in reality that isn't always the case. Cheap vodka is frequently absolutely horrid with a strong, unpleasant taste. The fusels in poorly made vodkas in particular are definitely a sharp enough flavour to cut through a beer, even in small quantities. Again, there's a reason why when people make beers with whiskey/rum/whatever else the advice is always to use good stuff, not unpleasant swill. Cheaply made spirits with a strong fusel character can cause unpleasant off flavours.

And 4oz should be exactly 4 shots (sorry, I feel like nitpicking this), no? I know most shot glasses (at least in the bars I've worked in) are now made to be 7/8ths of an ounce because short pouring makes bars money, but that just works out to be ~4.5 shots. Maybe American shot glasses are larger than Canadian shot glasses?
A shot glass is 1.5 oz. According to wikipedia, shot glasses in Canada should be 1.5 oz. as well unless they are "short shots." I have no experience with Canadian shot glasses however, but I am certain that US shots are 1.5 oz.

Quick Reply