Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > BYO Spunding Valve help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BYO Spunding Valve help

Hello,
I just built the spunding valve from this month's Brew Your Own, but I'm having trouble finding a part. I can't seem to find a coupling that connects between the flair fitting of my disconnect and the MPT of the valve. Anyone know where I can get such a thing?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

What's a spudding valve?
Do I need one?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The dude who wrote the article created it to use when fermenting naturally in a keg. It is basically a gauge and pressure relief valve that connects to the gas-in so you can see how much pressure is getting built up and adjust a valve so that it bleeds off any above what you set.
So it is; Gas in quick disconnect -> brass Y - > one going to the pressure relief (with adjustment screw) and the other going to the gauge.

Not needed, just convenient.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Chris_K

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up using a hydraulic fitting to fill the situation you're referring to. It's the only thing that had the right set of threads.

Primary #1-Oatmeal Stout
Primary #2- Empty
Secondary #1- Empty
Kegged- Cream Ale
Someday/ Maybe/ Getting There- 'California Common', Impromptu IPA, Imperial Stout

Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Why not just put a pressure guage on the quick connect, check the pressure periodically and use the pressure relief valve to releave any excess pressure.

I like gadgets as much as the next guy and maybe I'm missing something here but I just could not see much work reduction from this one.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm using one of these:

After I looked around for the parts trying to build it myself. It was just as expensive as buying one from the HBS. I had a very hard time finding a pressure gauge for a practiacl pressure range while being able to read PSI and mPa or bar.

Yes this thing is not essential, but it really helps if you want to carbonate naturally during a secondary fermentation of lagers/ales in a keg. It also helps if you want to filter carbonated beer.

A better version of this actually uses an adjustable pressure relieve valve so you don't have to do it manually.

Kai

Old 02-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser

A better version of this actually uses an adjustable pressure relieve valve so you don't have to do it manually.

Kai
In the BYO article they were saying you have to tweek and monitor it to get the pressure right. Then if you carbonate at different levels for different beers you have to do that every time.

That's why I was saying I don't see the spuding valve as that great a labor saving devise.

Kai , I think what you did is much more pratical.

Plus the spudding valve was kind of expensive IMHO. It's a neat device but it would be way way down on my list.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #8
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
In the BYO article they were saying you have to tweek and monitor it to get the pressure right. Then if you carbonate at different levels for different beers you have to do that every time.
It depends how good of an adjustable pressure relieve valve you build/use. There are certainly fairly precise options aviablable where you can calibrate the device and match the number of turns to a blow-off pressure. If you use a standard blow-off valve designed to below off for safety reasons, you will have a hard time calibrating it since a fraction of a turn will result in a 5-10 psi pressure change. Since they are especially popular among German home brewers, you will find better options there. I haven't read that article b/c I don't receive BYO.

Quote:
Plus the spudding valve was kind of expensive IMHO. It's a neat device but it would be way way down on my list.
Yes, most brewers will have very little use for it b/c it doesn't fit in their brewing process. And there is nothing wrong with this.

I mean to write something about this on the Wiki, but it may take a while.

Kai

Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Spunding is cool

I love mine. I know it is a preference sort of thing, but I think it makes my brewing easier. I simply primary for 4-5 days and transfer to my clean and purged keg and throw on my spunding valve. Then I watch the pressure rise and adjust once i am just over target carbonation. I love the fact I am following Reinhietsgebot by not artificially adding anything to the beer (I wouldn't ever knock force carbing since that is all I used to do). I just really like not having to shake a sanke everytime I want to carb. Just my two-cents though.

Click here for a Wiki article on spunding.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Last edited by WortMonger; 08-21-2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: wiki article addition

Old 06-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
mward
Recipes 

The reinheitsgebot doesn't say you can't artificially add anything, it just restricts ingredients to barley, hops, and water.

Quick Reply