New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Buzz kill family members??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Daphne-weizen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Buzz kill family members??

Do you ever feel awkward around family members (in laws) that "don't drink alcohol"? I was raised in a family of hardy happy beers drinkers. As a kid, during family events it was fun to see all the grown ups get drunk and act silly, but I never saw anyone get out of control. My husband is the only drinker in his family. His mom absolutely won't drink alcohol, his younger sister declares she has a disease and nine years later happily attends AA meetings because shes in recovery. His oldest sister won't drink alcohol because its fattening. Geez....talk about buzz kill!
I feel awkward when I have a beer or a glass of wine in front of them. Like I'm being judged!
Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
hunter_la5
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 567

I'm not encouraging you to divorce him.... but would it be possible for you to divorce his family?

Primary: Brazos Bock
Bottled: JAOM
On Tap:1. Brandon O's Graf

Old 04-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Daphne-weizen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I would never dream of divorcing my hubby, he's the best!! Luckily when we visit his family, we'll go to our fav brewpubs afterward.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I'm pretty much on an island. Both sets of parents are dead,siblings & friends scattered to the four winds. Wife had type 1 diabetes sneak up on her,so zip there too. No friends or neighbors that brew. sometimes I just don't feel like it anymore. I like brewing well enough,just no one to share with gets kind meh....?...

Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a similar issue. When I'm at their places I cool it and only have a beer or so. When they visit my place I drink what I want, when I want, and how much I want. If they complain I politely let them know when they pay my mortgage they can tell me what to do in my house.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Yeah - that is kind of a downer. My wife and I do the same when we spend time where "drinking is frowned upon." We have a bit while we are there if it is available, we don't feel guilty about it for sure, and then we take our exit and find a local bar, brewpub, etc. to relax and have fun.

Some people have good reasons for avoiding/disliking alcohol - and I respect that.
Some people have poor reasons for avoiding/disliking alcohol - and I tolerate that.
Some people are just too damn uptight about lots of things, including alcohol - and I am just thankful that is not the way I have chosen to live my life.

Secondary: Sour Cherry Stout, German Pils, Dortmunder
Future Brews: Dark Mild, British Bitter, Oatmeal Amber, American Brown, American wheat, American Pale Ale
People Like This 
Old 04-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
DSorenson
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Well I feel like my mother-in-law (maybe) to be is always judging me... so I understand the idea, just on a whole other level.

So my friend comes home from living in Japan for 5 years. In an excited discussion about my new hobby I ended up reciting my bottle inventory by style. He says "You have got to be kidding me... You actually have 99 bottles of beer in your house".

Old 04-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #8
quincy07
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was raised in a staunch (sp?) Mormon household. Church every sunday, scripture study and family prayer every night. My parent's don't drink and not many of my extended family does either, however, all of my siblings do. My parent's don't judge and accept us for who we are. They may not like it but I have explained to them that I don't drink beer to get drunk. Does it happen from time to time when I'm hanging out w/ friends and get a little carried away? Sure, but I don't act stupid when I have had a few too many and certainly don't drive. My mom is funny though. We had everyone over to my house for Sunday dinner a few weeks ago and when my mom saw my budding bottle collection she told me to "throw that garbage away" in a joking manner. She understands that I like beer and I like making it and that there are far worse things I could be into.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #9
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Wife's family is full of recovered alcoholics, so its a little awkward for me when they have a party and I come over with my portable kegerator. However, I make it a point to pickup some locally made, high-quality sodas which they seem to appreciate when I have those in tow as well.

If I have two beers in a sitting with my Italian mother present, I am called "ubriacone", which is her basically calling me a drunken bum.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoe82 View Post
Wife's family is full of recovered alcoholics, so its a little awkward for me when they have a party and I come over with my portable kegerator. However, I make it a point to pickup some locally made, high-quality sodas which they seem to appreciate when I have those in tow as well.

If I have two beers in a sitting with my Italian mother present, I am called "ubriacone", which is her basically calling me a drunken bum.
Kinda sounds like my grandma. She made keg charred moon,some great sour cherry wine as well. But if we were going out to the dew drop inn for some beers,we were gonna get drunk. I cut teeth on her keg charred too. But beer was frowned upon???

Quick Reply