Buying a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glavini

Reaction score
Just walked into a liquor store and asked the lady if she had any empty kegs to sell me. She didn't but offered to sell me a full bud light keg. For 50 bucks. Good deal? How much do kegs go for when people are looking to concern them

Hmm, I might be wrong, but technically I believe the keg belongs to the brewery in question (in this case Bud), and while you could keep it and forfeit your keg deposit, it's not really the liquor store's to sell you.

Are you looking to use the keg to make a keggle, or to actually keg your beer in? I believe most people use smaller 5 gallon kegs like ball lock kegs like this: http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Homebrew+Kegs:5+Gallon+Kegs

It will fit your homebrewing needs much better. A standard half keg holds 15 gallons, so unless you're brewing large quantities at a time, you're going to get alot of headspace, and it will be difficult to move.

It is a standard half keg that I would be converting to keggle. I decided against it for now though. I would feel bad dumping out all that beer even if it is bud light and I certainly could not drink it all.

Hmm, I might be wrong, but technically I believe the keg belongs to the brewery in question (in this case Bud), and while you could keep it and forfeit your keg deposit, it's not really the liquor store's to sell you.

You are absolutely correct. Keg theft is a huge problem in the industry and is driving up the price of the beer you buy.

Back