Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Business plan in the works!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #11
DubBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog
Good for you!! I would be a little hesitant to go all in though with the fantasy/game geek motif. I am sure some people will get it/love it but the majority won't. If you are trying to build a business I wouldn't want to instantly alienate potential customers because they don't "get it". Just my .02 cents.....
I fully agree with this. It is very risky to limit your market to this specific audience. It us hard enough to get clientele as is, let alone with such a targeted market. That said best of luck.
Primary: Robust Porter
Next Up: Flander's Red

http://twitter.com/Tom_Ayers
Untappd: DubBrew
BJCP Certified

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
MotorcycleMatt
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I wish you the best, but I can tell you now that I wouldn't frequent someplace like that. That's just me though

Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 322 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I get the idea, but I don't think it will work.

Even if I did buy into the business idea, I was not impressed with your description of yourself and it did not make me want to buy into your company. Frankly, somebody whose social life revolves around playing video games and RPG does not come off to me as the type of person who is going to doggedly pursue the dream of opening his own brewery. I know this is a stereotype and it may not describe you at all, but that is the impression I get. Why would I invest if I am questioning your motivation for this project? I'm not saying these aren't acceptable hobbies, its not what I want to read about when deciding to invest.

Lastly, I think you are way off-base on how you plan that first 20K (if you ever get that much). Hiring a web designer? You are in IT, don't you have the skill to DIY? Recipe formulation...isn't that why you are homebrewing? Formal brewing training....I'd rather see some real-life work experience in a brewery. Where is the market analysis? Where is the brand development? What about that pesky matter of how you plan to go about, ya know, opening a brewery?

Otherwise, you are just some guy selling T-shirts.

Sorry to lay it out like this....the whole project just sounds as if it hasn't been thought out at all.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #14
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
There was a pretty interesting thread about this in the debate section. Obviously there's no "moral" issue with it: everyone involved is choosing to be involved. But for some of us, its laughable because what you get in return is never worth what the business is asking for. Plus, investors should see returns. A business that belongs in business should be able to attract traditional investors. Crowdfunding is "half-assing" it. To me, its a "smile to your face scam", just not perpetrated facetiously. It's modern day begging in my opinion.
I am actually surprised that more homebrewers don't do this. Really why do you have to be a "business"? If you make a lot of beer and give it away that gets expensive. You support somebody's homebrewing hobby and get a little "schwag" as a token of appreciation. I know that the various crowd funding sites certainly don't require you to be a business

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #15
MonkHeDo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I get the idea, but I don't think it will work.

Even if I did buy into the business idea, I was not impressed with your description of yourself and it did not make me want to buy into your company. Frankly, somebody whose social life revolves around playing video games and RPG does not come off to me as the type of person who is going to doggedly pursue the dream of opening his own brewery. I know this is a stereotype and it may not describe you at all, but that is the impression I get. Why would I invest if I am questioning your motivation for this project? I'm not saying these aren't acceptable hobbies, its not what I want to read about when deciding to invest.

Lastly, I think you are way off-base on how you plan that first 20K (if you ever get that much). Hiring a web designer? You are in IT, don't you have the skill to DIY? Recipe formulation...isn't that why you are homebrewing? Formal brewing training....I'd rather see some real-life work experience in a brewery. Where is the market analysis? Where is the brand development? What about that pesky matter of how you plan to go about, ya know, opening a brewery?

Otherwise, you are just some guy selling T-shirts.

Sorry to lay it out like this....the whole project just sounds as if it hasn't been thought out at all.
I'm guessing you probably aren't our target market then. But, no, I appreciate your honest feedback, and it is food for thought. As I said, this is a work in progress. In all honesty I probably did jump the gun on going live with the indiegogo campaign before the business plan was in place.

I figured these forums would be a bit more supportive of somebody who was looking to go pro, c'est la vie. Lesson learned. Thanks for the comments all.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
I am actually surprised that more homebrewers don't do this. Really why do you have to be a "business"? If you make a lot of beer and give it away that gets expensive. You support somebody's homebrewing hobby and get a little "schwag" as a token of appreciation. I know that the various crowd funding sites certainly don't require you to be a business
Because the vast majority of homebrewers do this as a HOBBY.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #17
Gitmoe
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Best of luck to you. I agree that all startup breweries should release well executed base style beers to begin. Maybe one specialty brew at launch. I know owners of small breweries and they all learned that the basic beers keep the lights on and form a base for distribution.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #18
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I'm a huge fan of micros and nanos opening out of the HBT community, I wish you the best of luck. While I agree that the premise is a little restrictive in the market, you should have success if you don't get way too far down that path. I think a theme is good, when your beer claims to taste like gnome bones, then you may be in trouble. I'd keep with the theme, but brighten up the bio a little (be positive, the Atlanta DragonCon isn't as neccesary as the craft brew shtick IMO) and get it up on Kickstarter! I know many people that have used Kickstarter, no one ever says I'm going on Indigooo haha. good luck and have fun

Old 09-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #19
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Because the vast majority of homebrewers do this as a HOBBY.
Agreed! But...I don't know about you but people ask me 1-2 a month to brew up some beer for their special event. I love doing it but...it gets expensive. It leaves me with two choices...keep brewing for friends parties and take it in the shorts financially.... not a very attractive idea. Or I could flat out refuse to brew for their parties...which makes me look like a jerk. I think a Kickstarter campaign, or something similar, would let you know who really appreciates your brewing and its' associated costs and who just wants free beer. If someone is willing to kick down 50 dollars for a t-shirt and sticker to support the "brewery" you can be damn sure that I will brew for their next party

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 09-07-2012, 03:54 AM   #20
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog

Agreed! But...I don't know about you but people ask me 1-2 a month to brew up some beer for their special event. I love doing it but...it gets expensive. It leaves me with two choices...keep brewing for friends parties and take it in the shorts financially.... not a very attractive idea. Or I could flat out refuse to brew for their parties...which makes me look like a jerk. I think a Kickstarter campaign, or something similar, would let you know who really appreciates your brewing and its' associated costs and who just wants free beer. If someone is willing to kick down 50 dollars for a t-shirt and sticker to support the "brewery" you can be damn sure that I will brew for their next party
If you are brewing that often for people's events then make them pay for the ingrdients.

Quick Reply