Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Business plan in the works! (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/business-plan-works-352573/)

MonkHeDo 09-06-2012 04:36 PM

Business plan in the works!
 
Greetings! I've been a habitual lurker on these forums for a couple years now, and I have learned a great deal from all you guys, so thank you for helping me discover my passion for brewing.

I am putting together a business plan with my local college's Small Business Development center, and I was wondering if you guys could help us by purchasing some shwag or using the share tools on Indiegogo to spread the word. A link to our brewery website is on the indiegogo page also; if you'd like to check it out. Im trying to develop a web presense thats fun and geared toward the fantasy/gamer geek crowd. Let me know what you think. Give us a like on Facebook too if you can!

http://www.indiegogo.com/TheHoppyDwarf
https://www.facebook.com/TheHoppyDwarf

Thanks in advance! :mug:

Phunhog 09-06-2012 04:54 PM

Good for you!! I would be a little hesitant to go all in though with the fantasy/game geek motif. I am sure some people will get it/love it but the majority won't. If you are trying to build a business I wouldn't want to instantly alienate potential customers because they don't "get it". Just my .02 cents.....

MonkHeDo 09-06-2012 05:04 PM

I've thought about that too, but Atlanta has a pretty high geek to normal ratio. If you've ever been in town during DragonCon you'd understand. :D

Airborneguy 09-06-2012 05:19 PM

What's wrong? Kickstarter isn't a good enough begging venue for you?

MonkHeDo 09-06-2012 05:33 PM

Hey, I'll add anything to my toolbelt that works. Kickstarter may be next on the list. :) I'm working two jobs as well to support my family and save up the cash.

ktblunden 09-06-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborneguy
What's wrong? Kickstarter isn't a good enough begging venue for you?

I don't see a problem with crowdfunding that offers actual products for 'donations.' If he's selling pint glasses and mugs and such to raise money I really don't see that as begging. The ones that don't offer rewards are a different story though.

Airborneguy 09-06-2012 06:26 PM

There was a pretty interesting thread about this in the debate section. Obviously there's no "moral" issue with it: everyone involved is choosing to be involved. But for some of us, its laughable because what you get in return is never worth what the business is asking for. Plus, investors should see returns. A business that belongs in business should be able to attract traditional investors. Crowdfunding is "half-assing" it. To me, its a "smile to your face scam", just not perpetrated facetiously. It's modern day begging in my opinion.

MonkHeDo 09-06-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airborneguy (Post 4391980)
There was a pretty interesting thread about this in the debate section. Obviously there's no "moral" issue with it: everyone involved is choosing to be involved. But for some of us, its laughable because what you get in return is never worth what the business is asking for. Plus, investors should see returns. A business that belongs in business should be able to attract traditional investors. Crowdfunding is "half-assing" it. To me, its a "smile to your face scam", just not perpetrated facetiously. It's modern day begging in my opinion.

Hey, it's a free country, and you're certainly entitled to that opinion. And I am definitely interested in pursuing traditional investors as well. I prefer to keep all my options open. I'm not looking for any handouts here; I'm hoping to raise money and spread the word by selling shwag, just like many brewery startups. Sam Calagione from DFH used to stop and sell t-shirts at truckstops just to earn gas money to make it back home from beer events in the beginning. Everybody's gotta start somewhere, and I'm willing to work my ass off and do it by any means necessary.

KingBrianI 09-06-2012 07:01 PM

I hope everything works out for you! My suggestion would be to keep your main beers simple. I noticed you were adding peppercorns to your dwarf stout and honeysuckle to your elf beer. We had a brewery open up here that had a bunch of these crazy ingredient and themed beers, and each of them was a one and done type pint. I think you want to keep your beers pretty straightforward so people want to drink them all night, not just try them once.

MonkHeDo 09-06-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingBrianI (Post 4392087)
I hope everything works out for you! My suggestion would be to keep your main beers simple. I noticed you were adding peppercorns to your dwarf stout and honeysuckle to your elf beer. We had a brewery open up here that had a bunch of these crazy ingredient and themed beers, and each of them was a one and done type pint. I think you want to keep your beers pretty straightforward so people want to drink them all night, not just try them once.

A good thought. At this point these beers are in the idea stage. I will definitely be playing around with these recipes before we are underway to see what works. I am not a fan of overpowering exotic flavors in beer either; these additions are meant to subtly change the flavor. If it doesnt work in my tasting panels, then hey, it doesnt work and may become a "limited reserve" brew. :cross:


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.