Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bulk Malt, Group Buys in Connecticut

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
trumpetbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bulk Malt, Group Buys in Connecticut

Hello All,

I recently moved to CT, and I'm a little bummed about the HBS situation here. The closest to me is Maltose express (which is great, don't get me wrong, but it's still 45 minutes each way), and at $2/lb for 2-row and pilsner malt it's cheaper to buy online and pay for shipping than the gas it takes to get there plus the steep malt prices.

I've looked into clubs, but there are non close enough and my schedule is too unpredictable to commit to one.

Other than buying online - it looks like the shipping costs outweigh the discount on 50# sacks - is there a good way for a homebrewer to get bulk (50-55# sacks) malt in CT? Are there clubs that would let a non-member in on group buys? I'm really only looking to stock up on Pilsner, wheat, and Munich/vienna malts.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
trumpetbeard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Bump.

Any info on good options for HBS's in CT would be greatly appreciated. I live in New Haven if that helps.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2521 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 5683

There's Stomp n Crush in Clinton, which is only about 30 minutes from you instead of 45. I don't know about bulk grain buys, but it seems the going rate for a 50# sack of 2-row is in the mid-60s around here. I know that's not what you're looking for, but that's all I know for sure. The malts you're looking for are probably going to be in the 70s and 80s I'd say. I've never been there, so I couldn't tell you what their exact price is. You'd probably get about the same price from online, maybe a couple dollars more, if you factor in shipping. There's also a club called MASH (Maniacal Association of Shoreline Homebrewers) that has their meetings at Stomp n Crush, so you may be able to get a discount if you join. Hope this helps.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
trumpetbeard
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you! Very much appreciated. I'll stomp and crush some weekend in the future.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
CJPala09
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I guess you haven't been by Maltose for a long while.

A 50# to #55 sack of grain will run you $50 to $65 depending of the maltster (Fawcett, Rahr, Weyermann, Breiss, Dingeman's, Crisp, Munton's)

Specialty grains split into 1lb bags are $2/lb, but if you go into to the shop (or online) for a grain mix, the cost is $1.60/lb . . . and they will crush your grains at no charge. I believe they used to charge for crushing because they had to mill everything by hand. Now they have a motorized mill that will crush 20 pounds of grain in about 2 minutes. The only time they charge ($5) for crushing grains is if your grain bill is 45# or more, or if you're getting a full sack of grain crushed.

Certainly worth it to me from having to crush that much grain on my hand mill - both in time and effort.

John Christopher

Fairfield, CT

Quick Reply