The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bulk aging barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
Buffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bulk aging barleywine

I'm considering bulk aging an American Barleywine in a glass carboy for several (3-6) months before bottling. I'm assuming all or most of the yeast will not be viable or active enough to carbonate in the bottles after such a long rest. I've read that additional yeast may be added before bottling, but I'm looking for information on when and how much to add. FWIW, I fermented with Wyeast 1056.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
bdnoona
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Why wouldn't there be enough yeast to bottle condition? I bulk aged a RIS for 4 months and then bottled, and it actually over carbed a little bit. Just make sure when transferring to your bottling bucket that you transfer a little bit of yeast and get it back into suspension before bottling.

Fermenting, aging, kegged, bottled, drinking, etc... Who's got time to keep their sig updated?
The answer to all is: something (hopefully good).

Go White Sox! http://www.sox35th.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply