Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Budweiser project 12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #41
ckcanady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 20 Posts

Each brewery made a beer and entered it into the contest to see which 3 would make it into the market. As an employee of an AB distributor I gotta say the 3 they put out were not very good. There were a couple of non release ones I liked. The Bourbon cask lager one was one of the better ones they released.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #42
CatHead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcanady View Post
Each brewery made a beer and entered it into the contest to see which 3 would make it into the market. As an employee of an AB distributor I gotta say the 3 they put out were not very good. There were a couple of non release ones I liked. The Bourbon cask lager one was one of the better ones they released.
Sorta makes sense that would happen. As someone that has tried at least a couple of most of the big styles I am drawn to Porters and Bocks and given a choice that is probably what I would vote for unless it just struck me at the time. From reading this thread it seems the winners were variations of the original and it makes sense that Bud drinkers would vote for variations of Bud because that is the style they are used to.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 AM   #43
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcanady
I think AB respects craft breweries...
Maybe the same way a Marine respects an enemy combatant, but not the way I respect another homebrewer. That might not be true at an individual level (ie. An AB brewmaster) but AB is in the business of putting competing breweries out of business. Don't think for a minute that their forays into craft beerdom are anything but a ploy to gain market share. At an individual level, I can appreciate the creative outlet this might represent for an AB brewmaster but I guarantee their selection process was designed to pick beers that would sell great and take market share. Any collateral benefit the industry might get from getting folks to expect more from their beer will be coincidental as far as AB is concerned.

It's the way it is. Not hating - just being realistic. That's the AB way. It's the way they got to be on top. It's how they do business.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #44
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indytruks138 View Post
They create a poor product consistently, how does that make great brewers? The scale they are working at, with the same recipe over and over, there isn't even human interaction at that point, its completely automated.
Yet they manage to produce the same product consistently across a dozen breweries. I get a Bud in Wisconsin, it's the same as the one I get in Tennessee... or Pennsylvania... or Oregon. There are plenty of craft breweries that can't produce a consistent product under the same conditions from batch to batch and even worse, bottle to bottle (Lost Abbey or Jolly Pumpkin come to mind immediately). I'd say that speaks volumes as to the skill of those involved brewing Budweiser...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #45
Illuveatar
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
why does AB get so much attention on here where is the miller-coors bashing- some of their stuff is just as bad if not worse- take batch 19 for example or even leinenkugel...
Wait a minute, are you saying that Leinenkugel is ... (checking wikipedia) owned by SABMiller since 1988 ... damn, I'm drinking a snowdrift vanilla porter right now. My whole perception of Leinies has just changed.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #46
ckcanady
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv1204

... AB is in the business of putting competing breweries out of business. Don't think for a minute that their forays into craft beerdom are anything but a ploy to gain market share...

It's the way it is. Not hating - just being realistic. That's the AB way. It's the way they got to be on top. It's how they do business.
Your right! But aren't all businesses about running their competitors into the ground? Coke and the small craft sodas- Chevy and studabaker- that's the nature of capitalism. I think they see an opportunity in the craft beer market and they want a part of it. What with domestic brands being down something like 10% give or take and craft brands growing exponentially. FYI they did take the market (accounts in the trade) opinions into consideration before releasing these.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #47
ckcanady
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuveatar

Wait a minute, are you saying that Leinenkugel is ... (checking wikipedia) owned by SABMiller since 1988 ... damn, I'm drinking a snowdrift vanilla porter right now. My whole perception of Leinies has just changed.
Sorry man... I enjoy some of their beers too...

Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #48
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
where is the miller-coors bashing- some of their stuff is just as bad if not worse- take batch 19 for example or even leinenkugel...
What was wrong with Batch 19? IMO it's best adjunct lager I've ever had.

Also, what's wrong with Leinenkugel? They make some great training wheel beer before you jump into more exotic styles of beer. I might be biased as I went to college in Wisconsin, but I'd take a Leinies Red or a Honey Weiss overs standard BMC offering anyday.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #49
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsv1204 View Post

Don't know why people single out InBev or anyone in that regard. The main premise of business is to best your competition. As the old cliche goes, nice guys finish last. Not always...but usually.

Primary: Pre-prohibition Lager
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

People Like This 
Old 12-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #50
ckcanady
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG

What was wrong with Batch 19? IMO it's best adjunct lager I've ever had.

Also, what's wrong with Leinenkugel? They make some great training wheel beer before you jump into more exotic styles of beer. I might be biased as I went to college in Wisconsin, but I'd take a Leinies Red or a Honey Weiss overs standard BMC offering anyday.
I think you missed the point. There is always AB bashing on here while Miller-Coors slips through the cracks. I'm pointing that out and showing how they are similar to AB with the steps they are taking. I agree Leines is ok- not great. Goose island is GREAT even since AB took over. Although I did hear a funny fact- 312 is no longer made in the 312! Huh?

Quick Reply