Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Budweiser project 12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Yeah, they are here in MN. Didn't examine the goods long enough to determine what all varieties there were. Plan was to circle back around after hitting the cooler section but then I got distracted by the tequilas and never did circle back.

Good thing my GF works up the road where it was (hasn't quite made it to our small town store yet) so she'll grab me a box on the way home tonight.
I guess I'm going to hunt them down tonight. Can't believe I'm buying them. The last time I bought anything of theirs was when Bud American Ale came out. I actually liked it enough to put away a couple cases of them. The bottles are pretty cool, or were back then at least.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
showdown496
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried them out a few weeks ago. I didn't like any of the beers. They all tasted like budweiser mixed with vomit to me.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
m_stodd
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 38 Posts

Living in Milwaukee, there are a few local beer festivals where I know I'm going to find Miller Valley Brewing, Miller's R&D group. I'm always excited to taste what they have and it's always unique and awesome.

It doesn't shock me at all that other large breweries employ passionate and creative brewers, and that they allow them to share their brews with the public.

I think Bud's craft response is buying Goose Island. We'll see what this does to the quality as the CEO has already left and Goose Island's core beers are now being brewed in AB facilities

Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
I think Bud's craft response is buying Goose Island. We'll see what this does to the quality as the CEO has already left and Goose Island's core beers are now being brewed in AB facilities
Two years in since the purchase their Bourbon Barrel Stouts are just as phenomenal as ever. And they have all those interesting Matilda and Sophia and whatever beers now too. Plus Nightstalker is pretty good too. So I think they're going to be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

xjmox14x Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanoia View Post
Personally I vowed a while ago never to support Budweiser with my money, and I'd only try something like this if someone else had purchased it. I applaud them for being able to make such a consistant product through the years, but I just can't come to terms with the way they run their business, like how they buy up breweries just for the name and abandon the original breweries and/or integrity. Case and point: Rolling Rock, Stella, now Goose Island.

Maybe one day they'll be back on my good side, but even then I'd still rather spend $16 on a 4-pack of amazing craft brew before I spend $16 on a 24-pack of their product. :/
Oh, I didn't say that my respect for their quality means I'm buying it! I just don't like when people rag on them with "piss water" jokes and such. But the OP didn't mean it that way, and that's cool.

I will never buy an InBev product (I'm boycotting them, not that they miss me and my $10 ). But I can respect their brewmasters greatly as talented, their quality control, and their product all the same.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
beeramateur Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The dark side I see is that the combination of craft styles with AB's domination of the beer distribution system could mean less choice, not more.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
jsv1204
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess a potential upside might be die hard AB consumers picking up something a bit more adventurous and moving away from the if-it-was-good-enough-for-Dad-it's-good-enough-for-me mentality.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
maddcow
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Very Interesting. I may have to pickup some at some point. IDK how good it will be but I wont knock it til I try it.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts

I am reminded by Sam Calagione's theory that the big brewers want to produce a bad version of a "craft beer" that is cheaper than a real craft beer. Then a lot of people will buy the cheap version and decide they don't like that kind of beer.

I tried the "Project 12" beer. Not anything great or terrible. Basically the beers have a different flavor than a standard Bud. They are still pretty light.

Brewing since '08
1-91) - Gone
92) Dry Stout (with homemade long roast malt)
93) Hopped Crystal Malt Mead
94) Early California Lager
95) IPA

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I don't get the hate either. They make piss-colored "swill", people complain. They hear the complaints and try to branch out more to the craft beer crowd, as good marketing would have any company do, and the same people complain.

As Revvy said, I always enjoyed their brewery tours. Got to try some really cool stuff that wasn't available in stores... and this was even 5 years ago. Craft beer is booming now so I'd imagine they've upped the ante a bit more as well.

Quick Reply