Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Budweiser project 12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #141
drainbamage
It'll getcha drunk!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't think they'll fly with the average macro beer drinker. Has anyone tracked what happened with Bud American Ale? Is it still in the marketplace? I think AHB/Inbev has a damned if you do/damned if you don't thing going for them...they're almost typecast as much as Kelsey Grammer. If they make a beer that stretches beyon the comfort zone of their audience, they won't touch them...they're too hoppy, or malty, or "flavorful," and the typical craft/micro brewer/homebrewer has a such a hate on for them, or just doubts they can pull something off like this, will virtually ignore them.
Wikipedia says it was discontinued last year...I know I haven't seen it in quite some time. Strangely enough, their website is still active. Shame, it was one of the few AB products I would happily drink. I think you're right about the damned if you do, damned if you don't idea though. They're always going to be stuck making crap if that's all people will buy from them.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:17 AM   #142
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I picked up that 12 pack twice now (in FL). For $14, its not a bad bargain. The yellow top beer (a kinda Bo Pils, I think) is decent. Nothing to scream about. The blue topped beer was generally viewed as the most flavorful among the folks that drank them with me, but it doesn't taste anything like bourbon or vanilla. In 1 of the 12packs, we picked out 'smoke' as a very subtle flavor, but didn't notice it from the other pack. The red top beer was a little drier than the blue, but also a little more boring.

One funny thing about these beers is that they did NOT have ANY of that 'classic' Bud flavor of fermented Cheerios (at least that's how they taste to me). None of the folks who sampled the beers with me had anything real negative to say, other than that the beers were a little boring. They were clean and inoffensive.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #143
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Cool. AB-InBev wants to try developing their own 'craft'-style beer instead of focusing solely on buying up craft breweries and wearing them like a costume. That's great.

I still won't buy their beer, because of their business practices.

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added
alane1 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #144
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Picked up a pack today and am sampling now. They all petty much taste like sanitized versions of mainstream American Lager trying to be more "craft". I opted to drop $14 on this box of Bud as opposed to $14 on the 12 of Celebration ale I normally get this time of year (been through a few cases since it showed up at the local grocery store). Wishing I could return the unused portion of the Buds and trade for the SN. Lesson learned......

nurture my pig

Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 PM   #145
Maltrageous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been on a Project 12 kick since I discovered it at my Kroger last month. What's all the hate all about? Great pour, smooth and full mouthfeel, and in my opinion a nice finish. I enjoyed the LA one the best, STL was a close second, and the VA one was OK but I didnt taste the bourbon stave connection at all. Going to get another 12er tomorrow when my buddy comes over for a grill party. From what I've read, there's a lot of hate toward ABInBev...could someone explain this to me?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #146
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltrageous View Post
I have been on a Project 12 kick since I discovered it at my Kroger last month. What's all the hate all about? Great pour, smooth and full mouthfeel, and in my opinion a nice finish. I enjoyed the LA one the best, STL was a close second, and the VA one was OK but I didnt taste the bourbon stave connection at all. Going to get another 12er tomorrow when my buddy comes over for a grill party. From what I've read, there's a lot of hate toward ABInBev...could someone explain this to me?
It's not worth mentioning. Just enjoy the beer, and realize there's gonna be snobs everywhere.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

passedpawn Likes This 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #147
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Dragon's Milk is overpowering....

Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #148
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltrageous View Post
Most people who hate AB/InBev do so because of their business practices, such as buying up big-name breweries/brands (i.e. Rolling Rock, Stella, etc.) then lowering the quality of the product while still maintaining the same price. In dire cases, such as with Rolling Rock, they shut down the original brewery and put people out of jobs. This is my biggest beef with them.

I'm a bit agitated that they are able to dominate the beer market with their "beer," but that's much more on the average American consumer than AB themselves. If people will buy it, they'd be stupid not to brew it. Unfortunately this is also why AB gets a lot of heat, which isn't as deserved.
On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Quick Reply