Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Budweiser project 12

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #131
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Interesting followup to my post last night. The beers I evaluated last night I did at near freezing temps, figuring that most non beer geeks would drink them like they're used to with their other bud products. So I had chilled those in the freezer before sampling them, and I put the rest of them overnight in my keezer which took them down to 45 degrees.

I just came home from work, and pulled out a bottle of 63118, and poured it into a pilsner glass. Now this would be really where the rubber hit the road, how would it taste in the range of ale temps? Of course we all would expect that this was where the flaws would show up.....and it didn't. It's actually even better tasting that it was iced cold. There are some caramel malts at play here, and a slight under current of I think corn, and on top of that is some complex hoppy bitterness. Still holding up. Very flavorful.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #132
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I wouldn't expect flaws of any kind. Just not a lot of flavor or big time experimentation.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #133
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
I wouldn't expect flaws of any kind. Just not a lot of flavor or big time experimentation.
Well, you're wrong, there's LOTS of flavor in these beers, that's the surprising thing. And as for experimentation, you have to decide for yourself if doing this project isn't one big experiment, and allow things like high hopping rates, crystal malts, vanilla and bourbon soaked oak isn't MAJOR out of the box thinking for a conservative corporate culture such as this. Me since I don't have any prejudices against these guys to bias me,they're main product line is not my cup of tea, but I still respect that they make a consistent and an evidently excellent product for those who like that type of beer. Just because I don't enjoy bud, bud light, etc, doesn't mean that they make crap, just stuff I don't care for. So I think it's a huge step out of their comfort zone....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #134
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 3353

As the OP i am still looking for these! Crazy you would think they would be everywhere.

Revvy that review was superb. Thank you! Really looking forward to the 63118 and 23185.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 12-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #135
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 221 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 3353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
So I think it's a huge step out of their comfort zone....
This is exactly what i was trying to get at with this thread. Bud does nothing for me. Yet this seems to be something they want there "not the norm" crowd to enjoy, and still enjoy as a well crafted american beer.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #136
beeramateur
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearRich View Post
Im curious why there isnt tons of hate when a microbrewery does a pilsner. They are emulating a style made famous by BMC.

Food for thought
Incorrect. BMC makes adjunct lagers that you could hardly call pilsners. Basically a bastardization of the style. When a craft brewery makes a pilsner, they are emulating a European style created by Josef Groll that tastes quite different.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #137
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3466 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 2979

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeramateur View Post
Incorrect. BMC makes adjunct lagers that you could hardly call pilsners. Basically a bastardization of the style. When a craft brewery makes a pilsner, they are emulating a European style created by Josef Groll that tastes quite different.

Right.

To nip this one in the bud, for anyone wondering about difference between a Budweiser and a pilsner, there are two things you should do.

1) of course, buy a Bud and drink it side by side with a Victory Prima Pils or a Warsteiner.

2) Look at http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php where pilsners (Cat. 2 - Pilsner) are in a different category as Bud, which is Cat 1B Standard American Lager.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #138
mtandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As someone who find equal pleasure in a Backwoods Bastard as I do in a can of Gansett (all about the right beer for the right time) I will give these a shot. They seem to be geared toward folks like myself who enjoy both sides of the so called beer wars, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that a significant % of craft drinkers try these also. If nothing else, they sound like solid session brews!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #139
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

"Emulating" was the operative word. Lets not forget how new styles come into being... CPA, BIPA, shoot rewind to the origins of IPA. I am not a bmc history professor but I'd say that they call themselves a pilsner and created the American light lager or American premium lager.
Not having a lot of flavor... compared to what we are used to, not what bmc drinkers are used to.
Listen its all relative, I'm just trying to clarify my statement. I wouldn't expect flaws in a Budweiser. I would expect to be underwhelmed. If I'm surprised and it replaces an oaked arrogant bastard in my fridge, then I'd be blown away.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #140
Revvy

Recipes 

I have a feeling the typical budweiser/bmc drinker will hate these beers. They really are just too complex compared to the signature products. I've drunk them all now at various temps, and they have a lot of flavor. The ones that mention they have hops, have hops. The one with oak and vanilla, when warm, would pass for a craft beer anyday (it's could almost pass for a vanilla flavored Innis and Gunn.)

I don't think they'll fly with the average macro beer drinker. Has anyone tracked what happened with Bud American Ale? Is it still in the marketplace? I think AHB/Inbev has a damned if you do/damned if you don't thing going for them...they're almost typecast as much as Kelsey Grammer. If they make a beer that stretches beyon the comfort zone of their audience, they won't touch them...they're too hoppy, or malty, or "flavorful," and the typical craft/micro brewer/homebrewer has a such a hate on for them, or just doubts they can pull something off like this, will virtually ignore them.

Quick Reply