New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bud's Famous Claim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #21
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejaz View Post
I'm getting sick of all you Bud bashers. Most of you grew up Bud, whether you admit it or not. Now you all became expert brewers and can make better beer than the biggest and most successful Brewer in the world. Bud has a 48% market share and is getting a
$43 Billion buyout offer and yet we think we're brewing better beer in a bucket in our basements. Your tastes have changed the beer hasn't. I used to drink Bud, then I got a taste for Heiniken and Budd didn't appeal to me anymore. Now I like Bass Ale and Heiniken doesn't appeal me anymore. That doesn't mean that Heinken is no good. It's good we have a variety of styles and tastes that appeal to everyone

Sorry didn't grow up on Bud, I've always hated it and only started to like beer once I had something that was not a Light American Lager (not that there is anything wrong with that style for those that like it). I was a straight whiskey guy until I got into home brewing, now I've discovered a very tasty and fun world that is beer. I'm sure I'd enjoy Bud now more than I did 10 years ago, but I'll probably still always prefer what I brew myself.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I don't usually agree with the Bud bashing because I know that it is very difficult to make the beer that they make.
However I cannot stand drinking it or any of the other beers of that style. And this is not a change of taste. I never drank Bud or any other beer of that style. Until I was finally introduced to good micro brews I thought I hated beer and drank wine or liquor when I did drink.
Now I've found there is a world of beer that is not BMC and i am enjoying it very much.
Could I reproduce Bud or make a beer of that style with similar quality? Probably not but I will never know because I won't try.

Craig

Old 07-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #23
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Doods:

We're bashing the marketing.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #24
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
Doods:

We're bashing the marketing.
Yeah, jeez, get on point, people, focus, focus, focus!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-17-2008, 04:09 PM   #25
mr_goodwrench
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_stimey View Post
90% of all statistics can be made to say anything...50% of the time.
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #26
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Evan's Law, in only FOUR POSTS!

New record??? (intentionally invoking the law doesn't count).
awwwwwwwwwww man, someone beat me to it!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #27
doodeyfoodle
Recipes 

I guess I derailed the conversation 'cause I detected some humour in the second post and wanted to reply in kind. Elephant piss? No... but its a funny image. As I said in post #7, Bud isn't the worst nor is it the best.

But what I would really like to know is if you guys really believe that the cost of lagering truly makes Bud the most expensive beer to make. If this is the case, what makes Bud more expensive than any other American lager? Wouldn't you agree with the observation that a beer company that's run from the boardroom has a commitment to its shareholders which overrides their brewmaster, resulting in a concerted effort to convince their customer to be satisfied with a lower quality product whose production methods have been cheapened as much as possible? That's what all the advertising is about!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #28
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This has been said before, but I think it bears saying again...

AB is/was scared of the expanding share that micro/regionals were seeing. It was cutting into their pockets, so they came up with clever ways to bash all other styles of beer (other than "American Lager"), while at the same same convincing the BMC drinkers that Bud is a sophisticated beer that's actually better than all others because it doesn't 'hide imperfections'.

I laughed every time I saw those commercials, but the marketing firm behind that really did do a good job. There are now probably millions of people across this country that continue to drink Budweiser while thinking that it's really something special because it's not dark, and now they call it the "Great American Lager".

Budweiser is certainly not expensive to make. They grow their own hops in Oregon/Washington, they grow/farm/germinate/malt their own barley in Idaho, they have 12 breweries in the lower 48 and they have the largest beer distribution network in the US - if not the world. The sole purpose of having that much control over the process is to get costs down. You end up with the same investment in the same product but you don't have to pay someone else's markups.

If they truly were brewing the most expensive beer in the world as their statement implies ("We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age."), do you think that they would still be in business selling an 18 pack of cans for $12.99 at every gas station across the country while bottles of DFH120 are $8.49?

My guess is that the slogan on the bottle has been there since shortly after prohibition was lifted, during a time when those claims may have actually had some merit to them. The beer landscape has changed so drastically since then, however, that Bud is only set apart by the countless other American Lagers/American Light Lagers by its investment in continual multi-million dollar advertising machine.

If the

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 07-17-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon View Post
The fact that they would make an "ice" beer, to be consumed so cold as to paralize taste buds entirely, and then claim that dark beer hides flaws, is the worst flip-flop ever.
The "Ice" in the name of any of the ice beers has nothing to do with serving temps. It's a whole different marketing gimmick.

They freeze the beer and remove the ice crystals...so far, it's kinda like making an eisbock. Or eisBud, I guess.

But now, the kicker: because they're not allowed to distill, they melt the ice and add the water back to the beer. It's supposed to make the beer "smoother", or something.

Now Guinness "Extra Cold", on the other hand...

Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodeyfoodle View Post
"This is the famous Budweiser Beer. We know of no brand produced by any other brewer which costs so much to brew and age. Our exclusive beachwood aging produces a taste, a smoothness, and a drinkability you will find in no other beer at any price."

Hate to burst your bubble...But when Bud starting brewing with Corn and Rice it was the truth, not a false marketing claim... (or at least no more false then Pabst winning a blue ribbon at the world's fair, when none were awarded and the whole contest ended up one big ugly mess).

Check out Maureen Ogle's book Ambitious Brew for an accurate history of Brewing in America...

Here's the website on it;

http://www.ambitiousbrew.com/

Quote:
Myth: After World War II, brewers lowered production costs by adding corn and rice to their beer.

Reality: German-American brewers began adding corn and rice to their beer in the early 1870s, and did so not to lower their production costs (in 1878, a bottle of Budweiser cost the equivalent of $17 in today’s money!) but in order to accommodate Americans’ demand for a light-bodied beer.
We've covered the economics of brewing budweiser here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=741021&postcount=12

It's okay to bash bud (although it get's tedious to see 50 different threads when 1 one generic would do) I hate the tasteless pond water myself...but at least be accurate in your reasons for hating it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 07-17-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply