Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brown or Green Bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
tamns7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Brown or Green Bottles?

I would like to know EVERYONE'S opinion on this. I already know brown does better at "protecting the beer from light" but there are sooooo many (especially european breweries) who use green bottles.

So which is better? Brown, green or no difference?

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Brown is generally considered better for preventing skunking the beer. However, I like the Grolsch flip tops, so I use plenty of green. I just keep them out of the light and I have no issue.

In my mind, it's a bigger issue for 6-pack beers and singles being displayed at retail after taking them out of the master carton. When I worked at a brewery, we even designed our 6-pack carriers at heights to protect the bottles from light once removed from the master carton (even brown bottles)

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I use brown, green and clear. But the only time they hit the light is when I put them in the fridge to drink so for me there is no difference

Old 01-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 858 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

during a port visit to Hurghada, Egypt 20 years ago, we were served Stella (definitely NOT Artois), which came in either a brown bottle or a green one and no apparent reason behind the different colors.

when we asked someone, their answer was, "well... the brown bottle is brown and the green bottle is green. is same same"

so, from the Egyptian expert; they are the same same

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

duboman Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 209

I only use brown bottles but that's really because all the beer I buy commercially happens to come in brown bottles. IMO/IME, it really doesn't matter if you are storing your beer in a dark location but if you don't then darler is definitely better!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintman View Post
i use brown, green and clear. But the only time they hit the light is when i put them in the fridge to drink so for me there is no difference
+1

Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
brewmadness
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I store them in a box after bottling.....in the back of a dark closet. Then off to the fridge....where again it is dark. They never see the light of day until I pour them in a glass so it really doesn't matter what color the bottle is. I have used brown, clear, green....same same. Unless you are storing them in your living room not in a box, I really don't think it makes a difference what color the bottle is.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1953 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1445

I have different shades of brown bottles,dpending on the brewery. I have some German bottles that are more like amber with a touch of green. They all go in craft 12 pack boxes that're completely enclosed.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
MollyHatchet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmadness
I store them in a box after bottling.....in the back of a dark closet. Then off to the fridge....where again it is dark. They never see the light of day until I pour them in a glass so it really doesn't matter what color the bottle is. I have used brown, clear, green....same same. Unless you are storing them in your living room not in a box, I really don't think it makes a difference what color the bottle is.
I bought a case of Molson Ice, put a six in my beer cooler behind my bar, another six I placed on the bar where it was in the six pack holder, and was exposed to light through a window, but no sun light shown on the green bottles. After a week I drank the six in the cooler, then placed the six on top of the bar in the cooler and when I went for one, it was noticeably more skunked. Nothing near the point you couldn't drink it, but it's presence was known.

I have a few cases of Grolsch bottles I use, but I do like brewmadness and make sure I keep them in a dark environment, and never have a problem.

Quick Reply