The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Broken Thermometer in Beer??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 AM   #21
Loudog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Found it!

[IMG]/Users/Homemac/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2010/May 3, 2010_2/IMG_1138.JPG[/IMG]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #22
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankyswede View Post
I do all the supplies ordering for the chem lab I work in, and they all say "alcohol" unless they're mercury, even if it's toluene or something else, so it's impossible to say unless you run the liquid through a test.
I don't believe that a food grade thermo would have anything toxic in it . Kerosene/fuel oil/Diesel are not toxic either . The problem with them is if you inhale into the lungs . Poison control advises to drink a couple glasses of water and or milk

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 05-04-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
reinbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I don't believe that a food grade thermo would have anything toxic in it .
The chemical toluene itself is not; however, it is not water soluble and can't exit your body unless it is. It has to get metabolized to benzyl alcohol (major byproduct) eventually. But having toxic metabolites around the liver is not usually recommened by the medical community.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinbrew View Post
The chemical toluene itself is not; however, it is not water soluble and can't exit your body unless it is. It has to get metabolized to benzyl alcohol (major byproduct) eventually. But having toxic metabolites around the liver is not usually recommened by the medical community.
again they wouldn't put it in if there was problem with ingestion. Most likely kerosene and its not toxic. I had to call poison control a few months back because a possible ingestion my neighbors kid got a hold of a small kerosene lamb their response drink two glasses of water and or milk . In inhaled they advised going to the ER because it will damage the lining of the lung

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 05-04-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply