The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bringing keg to party..pushing with Nitro?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
nicholaswebber13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bringing keg to party..pushing with Nitro?

Hi everyone,

Im going to a party this evening and want to bring one of my already carbonated ales. I have no way of bringing CO@ to the party because I have a permanently mounted four body regulator but do have a way of bringing my nitrogen bottle, regulator and gas line for it. Seeing as how the beer is already carbed can I just push the beer tonight with like 7 psi of Nitro? I shouldn't go through a whole corney keg but just curious what to expect. Thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You should be ok. Some styles will be better with that than others though.

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This won't help you now, but for future parties! I'm thinking of grabbing one instead of lugging my regulator and c02 with me when I decide to go somewhere.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/compa...ctor-only.html

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
nicholaswebber13
Recipes 

Thanks guys! Yes I have seen those injectors and they're not that bad. Im wondering how many cartridges you would go through to push an entire keg through (corney)? Didnt have enough time to get them this time but also thinking of getting them. If you use them and think of it, let us know how it works out for ya.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholaswebber13 View Post
Thanks guys! Yes I have seen those injectors and they're not that bad. Im wondering how many cartridges you would go through to push an entire keg through (corney)? Didnt have enough time to get them this time but also thinking of getting them. If you use them and think of it, let us know how it works out for ya.
The beer has to be pre-carbed but the packaging says 1 CO2 cartridge will push 5gal. I'm thinking if you put a little extra pressure in the keg before taking it with you it'll push beer without any help for a while and if it starts getting too slow you could hit it with the cartridge.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

We have one of those portable CO2 cartridges, works like a champ. Yes, the beer does need to be pre-carbonated, but you'll have no problem pushing a full 5 gallon keg on one cartridge. When we take kegs camping or fishing this is what we bring to push the beer.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 46

In my experience you go through about 2 to 5 per keg (avg about 2 to 3). It really depends on if people are becoming over zealous and such... and it's never bad to have extras although if you run out you can just agitate the keg a little and the CO2 released will push the beer out. These are actually just bike tire fillers so you might be able to find something cheaper than at a homebrew store at a bike shop, you just have to make sure you have a threaded fitting to attach it to.

Word of advice too, purge your corny tank, put the fitting on and then screw the compact pump to the fitting. I didn't read the instructions carefully and while I was attaching the ball lock the pressure blew the fitting and made a really loud popping sound...

Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Not a problem, short-term.
When you get home, release the pressure and purge once with CO2. Otherwise, the beer will go flat.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply